III

"I have a proposition for you,"

The words rung through the room with a deafening hum of lucidity, her angular features seemed to prod into every small insecurity I had left. Which were few and seemingly hard to pick at, but this lady was more than a professional. She was an elite at manipulating to her own will, she was so strong and independent that she could break a man with only a wink of her golden eyelids. Oh, how I envied her. 

I fell into an armchair, trying to be graceful yet never breaking her stare, "Proceed." I replied, it seemed to energise her, a faint, sly grin tainting her red lips. She seemed far too happy from my response, so happy that tiny pricks of nerves skipped along my spine and made my shoulders shake. She was intimidating to say the least. 

With a heaving sigh, she collapsed into her armchair and rolled herself into the nook of her desk. She pulled more files than I could count from a small drawer in her desk, all tucked into a overflowing binder. It intrigued me and absentmindedly made me lean forward in the armchair to take a closer look, I could tell she was feeding on my curiosity and enjoyed each second of my oddity. 

"Mia, my name is Hilary Fernando, 5 Seconds of Summer's manager," She introduced, making me snap out of my hypnotised state. "I have a form that may interest you," She proposed, watching intently as my face contorted into a confused glare.

She slid a stapled pile of forms across the dark wooden desk towards where I sat. My mind was whirling, was it the velocity of the music? Or the darkness of Hilary's glare? Either way my stomach erupted with butterflies and curiosity hung around my neck, pulling me closer to the forms before me. I ran my finger along the lines as I read them, each line beckoning me further into the pile with absentmindedness flicking of the pages. 

I was almost at the page where I had to begin writing my details before a body crashed through the door and Hilary shoved a pen towards me. Luke, out of breath, walked at a brisk pace towards where I sat, an angered glare on his features. He obviously wasn't happy with Hilary, or me. He had told me not to walk down the long corridor, though I had disobeyed. He told me not to talk to the mysterious lady who leaned against the clean plaster walls, though I disobeyed. He had every right to be upset with me, though I couldn't convince myself that I had done the wrong thing.

"Mia, I-I can explain," He stuttered, sitting in the chair next to me and placing his hand on my exposed thigh. He was making such a dramatic from such a small thing, from a bunch of paper that I could reject to fill out if I wanted to.

"No need to," I turned to Hilary, a stern look on my features, "Give me the pen."

As I pressed the pen to paper, Luke let out an exasperated sigh and swung his hands in the air like a child. I furrowed my brows at him, "Luke, whats the big deal-" He cut me off.

"The big deal? The big deal is that I don't want this! I don't want a forced relationship, I didn't want you to talk to Hilary because I wanted to control the relationship, not my management," He wailed, I rolled my eyes.

"Luke you're acting like a child," I forced out of gritted teeth. He ignored me, continuing on with his fickle of a rant, I could see Hilary becoming quite anxious from the other side of the desk, something in the deal must involve her.

"I'm acting like a child? You shouldn't be so fucking imperturbable, this is a five year contract and you're just going to agree to it as quickly as you beat your eyelashes? If I were the child here then why would I be the only one acknowledging the negative outcomes." It was more of a plead rather than a statement, he truly wasn't going to budge with his feelings on the topic.

But I couldn't resist, the flowing income that came along with signing a letter and pretending to love someone was irresistible. I had made my decision and if he didn't like it than he would deal with it, I'm sure if he was int the position I played, he would at least consider it. 

I gave him one final glare before quickly scribbling my signature at the bottom to confirm the agreement, it was over. Hilary held a brazen smirk that soon turned into a fully fledged smile, she was definitely going to get whatever it was that she wanted and she was happy about that. Luke, had a quiescent expression, staring deep into my hazel eyes with his own bright blue ones, he was angered and even an imbecile could sense it. 

Hilary's smile faded, "But there is one more thing," My head snapped towards her and instant regret ran through my body making my face run white. "Luke, you have to sign it as well," I closed my eyes for a second, letting the regret fall from my body and the desperation climb on. This was going to be difficult.

"Luke I-" He interrupted once again.

"No," It wasn't an indifferent no, it was a vilifying no. One that most people knew was when to stop, but I couldn't let him reject the paperwork. I couldn't.

"Luke, you need to hear me out," He was shaking his head profusely now, not taking his eyes away from mine. I could feel myself losing the battle I was so desperate to win, he was too stubborn for his own good and no matter what I did or said, he would never sign it.

"No, I'm not doing this, Mia." He replied, it sounded like nihilism in my head, a complete rejection of laws or values, the law or value of the situation was my future though. 

"If you do this then I will have enough money for university, we will have enough money to buy a beautiful home," I paused, scraping my mind for more ideas, "We could have a family, get married, or, hell," I plead with my gaze, begging so desperately with every movement that my eyes made, "We could buy a house and burn it down only to build a new one in its place. We could go anywhere together, or split apart at the end of those five years."

It was all down to the few last sentences, "Please, if you don't do this for yourself, then at least be a tad bit gratuitous and do it for me." I could see his daunting wall begin to crumble as I pushed as much desperation into my voice as I could, "Please Luke."

He paused for a few nefarious moments, contemplating his choices before grumbling and snatching the pen from Hilary. He scribbled his signature onto the page with a few conspicuous curse words slipping his tongue. All I could fathom to do was lie my head backwards and breathe, Sandra wasn't going to believe this when I told her.