Chapter Thirty-Eight: Trying To Be Different

Start from the beginning

Natsuki paused before blinking furiously and grunting. "W-well, whatever!"

"I wonder what Monika could be though!" Sayori exclaimed, glancing at me. "Like, what animal? Something to do with the woods, right?"

"Like a.." Natsuki trailed off, thinking if the animals she knew. "I don't know. There's too many animals that live in forests."

"I'm really curious though!" Sayori chirped, smiling widely.

"Then we'll just get her to transform!" Natsuki decided.

I smirk. "Clever, and how do you expect me to do that?"

"Well, we all transformed when in our element." The pinkette reasoned. "Like Mrs. Smith said, our body has to adapt or whatever."

"But Monika would've adapted along time ago! She's always in the forest! She even slept in there!" Sayori whined.

I flinch, as I didn't want to bring up my night sleeping on a tree with the other two. The two other girls give me confused and cold looks, and I smile awkwardly.

"I went out on a run and fell asleep in a tree.." I explain, but I doubt it made my case any better.

"Ooh! There was even that bird that shows me where you were!" Sayori adds, making the looks from the two others go deeper.

"What?" Yuri asked quietly.

"Okay, you know what?" Natsuki said, waving her hands. "Whenever something magical happens, form a meeting with all of us, ASAP. Deal?"

I laugh. "Deal."

"But back on the note of Monika transforming," Yuri says, "She would probably transform in the forest."

"Then let's go back there and try and make you into some strange alien animal!" Natsuki jokingly yells, raising both her hands in the air.

"But what if I'm not ready?" I ask, earning a confused glance from Natsuki. "I mean, you all transformed at different times and if I haven't yet then.."

"But the times weren't that important." Sayori says, glancing at me with wide and rounded blue eyes. "It was the day before we started training when I touched water and became a mermaid, Natsuki when she was mad at Sasha, and then fully after the strange dream, and Yuri just now."

"Yeah, she's got a point, Monika." Natsuki says, opening the door. "Now, come on!"

It seems like this forest always draws us back. Not like it's a bad thing of course. Once we reached the forest, I decided to lead the girls to where the large tree that I had slept on was.

After standing in front of it, Natsuki rubbed her chin. "Alright, so your element is Earth.. Hmm.."

"Maybe try talking to the tree!" Sayori suggested.

"But trees can't talk..?" I question.

"Dude, before this even happened, I thought witches never existed." Natsuki responds, and I sigh.

"Fine." I walk over to the large tree and place a hand on its bark. "Tree, can you hear me?" I ask, not hiding the deadpanned tone in my voice.

"Come on Moni!" Sayori encourages. "Say it like you mean it!"

"Please speak to me tree!" I say louder. Maybe I have to do in my head? Hello? Tree that I slept on? I hope you didn't mind. Is something supposed to be happening?

I turn back to face the three others. "It's not working."

"Maybe.. Try hugging the tree!" Sayori giggled. "I always like hugs!"