A saw a mix of confusion and surprise mix with his already existing emotions.

He hesitated for a few seconds, glancing at me before walking past and heading to the door.

I instinctually began heading over towards the fireplace, figuring it might be someone important.

My heart clenched at the thought that it could be his dad.

I turned my head as he opened the door, his posture straightening as he did.

"Hey," he breathed out.

"May I come in?" the calm and oddly comforting voice of his mother said.

I quietly sat myself down in front of the fireplace, hoping the heat would help me ease up.

I didn't want to run the risk of her being able to hear my panic.

I think being able to hear Nico's would be enough.

"Yeah... Yeah of course," Nico answered, stepping to the side to allow her in.

She did just that, eyeing over the room as she did.

Her eyes fell on the right side of the room where all of my art supplies were for just a second longer than the rest before they fell on me.

I looked away lost immediately, focusing on the low burning flames until I felt like she wasn't listening.

"I'm sorry... about dinner, " Nico began again, "I didn't mean to-"

His words stopped dead in their tracks when she wrapped her arms around him, her head on his shoulder.

He stood still for a few seconds in shock before he returned the gesture, holding to her tight.

Somehow his expression got even worse, now looking like he was going to completely break any moment.

Still, I noticed him relax.

I knew how much he loved his mother, so I guess upsetting her at dinner was one of the many things bothering him.

"I'm sorry too," She replied, "We're putting a lot of stress on you and we know it isn't fair."

They parted after another moment, a small, comforting smile on her face as she spoke again.

"I know your father can be pushy and insistent at times, but it isn't entirely his fault," She explained, "Being the Lord and Lady takes a lot out of us every year that we hold this power, and it's getting to the point where we're tiring out fast. Of course, that's partly our fault since we waited a couple of decades before having you, but we aren't built to hold this power for more than four-hundred and fifty years. Now were pressing on close to four hundred and eighty and our desperation for a release is growing"

The look on Nico's face told me that he wasn't aware of this apparent time limit of being the Lord and Lady.

I wasn't aware either.

She continued.

"I'm not telling you this to rush you, Nico, I just want you to know whats going on. Of course, we want you to find someone as fast as you can, but there's still nothing we want more than to see you happy with whoever that vampire may be."

A sharp pain stung through my chest, only now realizing the lump in my throat.

Nico's stance was rigid as she lifted her hand to cup his cheek.

"I know that finding someone who makes you truly happy can be difficult, especially in the position that you're in. Of course, we want you to find someone who will make you excited to face each new day and who will finally make all of this worth it. Someone with a kind heart who can help you lead this city with dignity. We're willing to wait for you to find that person, but all I'm asking for is your cooperation. Just show us that you're at least trying to find that person."

There were a few seconds of silence as Nico thought through her words.

"Your father sometimes acts and talks on his own. Sometimes he makes plans that he doesn't tell me about, but no matter what, I just want you to know what we want for you, okay?"

He just nodded.

Her smile softened as she drew her hand back.

"Okay. I love you, Nicolas. I know we can be naggy sometimes, but we love you."

He forced a small smile, "I love you too."

She inclined her head a bit before taking a step back.

"I'll talk to your father after this, just please think about what I said."

He just gave her another nod before watching her leave.