Queen of Mean

"I-I feel the same. Thank you for telling me, Kagami."

Marinette broke when she heard him. Her heart broke into a million pieces. Rejoining and crashing down every darn second they lost themselves in their eyes.

This was what she was afraid of.

This was what she feared.

This was her worst nightmare.

What hurt her the most, was the fact that the two people she loved with all of her heart and soul, the two boys with whom she stuttered and flirted, the two boys who she thought had the same feelings for her, were same.

Freaking same.

They were only one. Adrien was Chat. Chat was Adrien.

And boy was she wrong. She thought they reciprocated her feelings but she was dead wrong.

As always.

As she had been when she chose to be Ladybug.

She left quietly. Her only goal was to see Adrien happy. And he was now. What's wrong with that?

Just, she wasn't the one who made him that way.

She wasn't the one he loved.

She wasn't the one he needed.

She wasn't the one he wanted to be by him.

She just wasn't Kagami.

She was happy for them. Both of them. She was friends with Kagami. She was a nice person.

She was brave, courageous, beautiful, elegant and so much more.

So much more than she had ever been.

So much more than she would ever be.

She wiped her tears. They flowed again.

She heard a flap of wings.

She felt the earrings being removed. She felt Tikki cry. Her tears resting on her cheeks.

As if whispering, "Stay strong, Mari."

She wanted to run.

But her legs froze.

Everything was black. Silent. Serene. Almost calming.

Until she felt a throbbing pain in her head.

"Go." Marinette cried last time before losing control.

"Midnight, I am Hawkmoth. You have been heartbroken. Berated by your one true love. Broken. Shattered. Like a mirror. Devastated. I can help you."

She sniffed.

"I can fill the darkness in you with lights of hope. All you need to do is give me the miraculous of Ladybug and Chat Noir-"

"Yes, Hawkmoth."

"Good. I can sense your power. You are my masterpiece. My strongest creation. You are different. Special."

She smirked. Wiping away the last hint, the last tear, that ever briefly stated that she was crying.

"I can feel the power too, Hawkmoth. And I know that I am different. Special. That is exactly why I thank you for the power. But now, I will have to ask you to leave. I have to take my revenge on someone. Both of them...? Nah. They're just one."