37) a first for everything

Start from the beginning

"You really need to start trusting me, baby."

I heard her breath hitch as I walked over to the house where the backdoor was. It took a little bit of fumbling around, feeling the house panels until my hand found the power box and I flicked the switch.

All at once, the garden lit up, ambiance enveloped my girl as she stood in the middle of the lawn, her lips parted as she drank it all in. Twinkling lights were in the trees, which were almost bare due to the leaves dropping for Fall. Lanterns covered the grass, surrounding a spot where a picnic blanket and cushions were waiting with food. Lights flickered on the fence, under the hedges, humming like fireflies. Addie covered her mouth.

"Zac," her voice full of awe. "This is beautiful. It's so. . . enchanting. I feel like I'm in a fairy tale."

I made a slow walk back to her, wanting as much time as possible to admire her in this light. "I know we were meant to wait until Milo and Raine got back to go on our first date, but I couldn't wait. So I thought I'd bring the first date to you."

She dropped her arms, bottom lip pouting. "Well, aren't you sweet."

"Mildly obsessed," I corrected, standing in front of her.

"Obsessed, hmm?"

"Yeah," I nodded, tipping her chin up. "I'm going for full fledged honesty and I definitely think it's an obsession. I can not get enough."

"Well," she drew her bottom lip in and fought a grin. "As long as you're being honest about this obsession."

I lowered my head so that we were eye to eye and leaned in, lips touching hers. "This smile," I whispered, giving her the softest kiss. "It's new."

"Is it?" She was breathless, a shiver shook her frame and I loved it.

"It's beautiful," I pushed my hands into her hair and held her head. "You're beautiful."

She tiptoed and threw her arms around my neck, deepening the teasing kisses I was peppering on her mouth. There was something different about Addie since the last time I'd been with her, back before she went home.

She walked a little taller now, talked a little more, smiled a little brighter. I always knew that this person existed though. I saw the sort of love she was capable of, even when she was broken, she gave what was left of her heart to everyone else, and what hadn't killed her, made her so much stronger.

My hands traveled down to her waist and I tugged her in closer so there was no space left between us. I'd had enough of space.

It took Willa a while but she'd finally started the playlist I'd set up and soft music started floating through the space.

"I didn't think these sorts of dates were real," Addie said, her hands restlessly messing with the hair on the back of my head. "I've read about them. Just. . . never been on one."

"Full disclosure," I said, pushing her hair behind her ear. "Willa helped me out. We brainstormed. I'll tell you something though, it's not hard to make those stories come true. The ideas are all right there."

She smiled but I could see doubt in her beautiful brown gaze, reflections of twinkling lights dotted her iris.

"You know what else," I said. "You'll get your happy ending. I'm not going anywhere. I'll read and research as much as you need so that you get your book worthy romance, for the rest of your life."

She swallowed. "That's a big promise, Zac."

"I don't think you understand what your happiness means to me."