CHAPTER 33

1 Month Later

Tanya sifts through my newly organized closet. She's picking through everything. "This one is cute." Finally, she pulls out an Ivy green dress with intricate velvety black swirls and vines. Underneath, a bit of tule sticks out.

"You think?" I ask, forgetting about the pile of clothing splayed on my bed.

We're digging through my closet, getting ready for Flint's first performance since the incident with his father. It's been a month since it all went down, and I'm so thankful that everything turned out the way it did. It could have been much worse.

"I mean, it's not my style, but it's so you. These clothes suit you so much better than those other ones you donated last month."

She hands me the dress, still on the hanger. I push the closet door shut a little to check myself in the mirror. Then, holding the dress up and lifting the fabric, pretending to spin.

"Thank you. Do you think Flint will like it?"

Over the past few weeks, Tanya and Pete have both gotten to know Flint a little better. Pete was Cam's best friend, but they hadn't spoken since everything went down. He apologized for keeping me out of the loop too. I couldn't be mad at Pete because it wasn't his fight to deal with.

My phone beeps from underneath the dense pile of clothes on my bed. I walk over, lay the green dress on top to dig through looking for it. I smile at the name that appears on the screen.

Flint: I wish you were my punk rock princess

He knows me well enough because that is by far the most straightforward song lyric he's used.

Me: I would be your anything.

"Is that Flint," Tanya asks?

I glance over at her. She's stolen a cute black lace dress from my closet. Holding it up to herself, she smiles.

"You'd look perfect in that."

She tilts her head. "Do you think so?"

"I do."

She shrugs and slips out of her jean shorts and favorite basketball jersey, then pulls the dress over her head. In the mirror, I catch her smiling. It's another one of my Hot Topic purchases. The lace is see-through, but underneath is a soft silky fabric to cover up.

"You look happy," she smiles.

"I feel happy. I've never had a chance to feel like myself, and I can do that with him. It's like this huge weight was lifted from my shoulders. I can finally breathe. I like not having to worry about anyone judging me for my music or outfit choices."

It's the truth. I haven't felt this happy in a long time. Everything's coming together nicely. I've seen Sally weekly, and I've never felt better. I plan to continue my sessions with her. In the fall I will be attending a community college. Her office is right around the corner from the school. I wish I had opened my heart sooner.

Flint and I couldn't be in a better place as well. I've been talking through my insecurities with Sally, and it's helping our relationship a ton. I still have moments of weakness, but I know it will take time. Flint is also better off with his dad in jail. Although he's been putting in extra hours at the tattoo shop to help, they all seem much more relaxed. His father's trial is coming up soon, and sometimes I can see the fear on his face, but he mostly hides it well.

Tanya and I finish getting ready with very minimal interruptions from Flint. Tanya is a little nervous, she's never been to a rock show before, but Pete, I found out, is a massive Fall Out Boy fan and has been to several shows. So, he's meeting us at the show after baseball practice. I hope they enjoy themselves tonight. I do not doubt in my mind that they will.