CHAPTER 18

The band has been playing for about an hour and not one person seems bored or uninterested. They've played a variety of songs, including popular music on the radio. He's also slipped a few songs we've tricked each other with. Sometimes a strange flutter stirs inside of me during those songs, like it's our little secret.

I decided to take a break from dancing and grab a drink. From here the view of the beach is perfect. The back lights over the outdoor porch light up the tiny waves crash along the shore. White swirls of foam wash up over the sandy terrain.

My eyes flicker over to the other side of the room. I catch sight of arms moving around in a frenzy. My stomach drops at the realization that it's Cam and Rose in a heated conversation. She's in his face, her fists are clenched at her side. I try not to dwell on what they're discussing. It's my birthday after all and I want to enjoy it without worrying about the world around me.

"We're gonna play one more before we take a break, this one's for the birthday girl." Flint's voice pulls me from their argument.

I watch him scan the room, and step out of the shadows. His eyes land on me and his lips pull into a smile. His eyebrows raise like he's challenging me to guess the song. I mouth the title. The first note out of his mouth is shaking with laughter from my response. I find myself singing along. I dance like nobody's watching. Through the entire song his eyes never leave mine and mine never leave his.

After it ends they turn on some music that I don't know, but it makes the guests scream with joy as they make their way back out to dance. Flint walks over to the sandwiches, while the other band members stick to the stage. I scan the room for Cam, but he and Rose have both disappeared. An uneasy wave of nausea invades my stomach. I try to take a deep breath and ignore it, because the boy standing across the room is holding my attention.

With a strange bout of confidence I stride across the room. His back is to me and when I approach I lean in, close enough that my stomach flutters. I quietly sing into his ear, "how can I stand beside you, and not be moved by you."

He gasps, nearly dropping the plate he's holding. His whole body quivers with my mouth lingering beside his ear. He sets his plate on the table and faces me. We're so close that if I moved one step further our lips could touch. His lips. My eyes immediately flash to them, then back up at his eyes. The world around me disappears as if we were the only two in the room. He closes the gap, lowers his head, and finishes the lyric in my ear. As he pulls back I notice his eyes closed. I take a step back and his eyes open.

My legs are like cooked spaghetti, they wobble under the weight of my body and I falter backwards. His hand grazes mine. I find myself grabbing hold of his hand, not wanting him to let go. Butterflies dance in my stomach from his simple touch.

"They are nothing like Charlotte Rising and the others. How did you know?"

I'm well aware of his fingers gently running down the length of my hand, circling up to my wrist, then back down again. I don't care. I've blocked out everyone like they don't exist.

He chuckles. "I'm in a band, remember? We play everything."

"Like One Direction," I tease.

I swear with each passing second he grows closer to fill the space I've created between us. For a few tender heartbeats I don't care who sees.

"Hey, that was for the fans," he says.

"Sure it was. Admit it, you secretly dance around to One Direction in your underwear."

He wiggles his brows. "Are you picturing that in your head, Marnie Bennett?"

I roll my eyes, shaking my head. "So you're in the Heights tonight, huh?"