CHAPTER 25

Flint will be here soon, and my mind is racing with all the possibilities that could come from this. Of course, I can't deny the chemistry between us, but the thought of something happening makes my heart jump.

I'm good at pretending to be confident in myself. I've been afraid of what people thought my whole life. I've been able to cover it up under a disguise. This is different because I can be me. How will others perceive that version of me? The doorbell rings, pulling me from my thoughts. I put on my brave face and head downstairs. I can't be afraid forever.

There's laughter and chatter coming from the kitchen as I make my way through the house. I stop in the entryway to the kitchen and take in the scene before me. Dad and Flint are sitting at the kitchen table chatting, completely unaware that I'm in the room.

I clear my throat. "Are you two enjoying your bro-mance?"

The room falls silent as their eyes follow my voice. Flint does a double-take, and dad stares wide-eyed at me. They are acting like I've never worn a dress before. All I did was throw on a simple black and red corset style dress that pulls up in the front and is longer in the back.

"Uh. Hi."

They both stand and cross the room towards me.

"I'll let you two get to your party." He pauses and turns to Flint. "Keep her safe."

"Always," he says.

The flutters in my stomach return. Always. I don't feel like I deserve his friendship.

He passes by me and kisses the top of my head. "Please act responsible," he warns.

"I promise."

Flint and dad say goodbye and do a weird "bro" handshake. I smirk and roll my eyes. Once dad leaves the room, Flint takes the opportunity to check me out. My cheeks flush under his stare.

"You look really good, Marnie," he says.

"Is it too much?" I stare down at my dress. "I usually overdress for these house parties. It's a habit."

"You didn't have to get so dressed up, but I like it."

"I'm used to parties in the Heights."

"You look fine. Let's get going."

Flint places his hand on my lower back and leads me out. The slight touch of his hand on me gets me all worked up again. Get it together, Marnie. You're just friends. Friends who kiss, who share intimate glances, and secret texts. I release a trembling breath, which only causes Flint to pull me closer into him.

***

We head back towards the mainland, music quietly playing in the background as we drive. I'm humming along to one of my favorites, and he drums his hands on the wheel. We haven't said much since we left the house, but I'm okay with that because singing is more fun.

I'm halfway through the chorus of a Charlotte Rising song when the realization hits me. I stop singing and glance over at Flint.

"These are our songs?" A knot forms in my throat. "You made a playlist with our songs from our lyric game."

He glances over but then turns his attention back on the road. His cheeks turn a light shade of pink as his lips curl into a smile. "I might have."

I playfully shove him.

"What?" He laughs.

I smile because I can't help it. I've secretly always wanted a boy to make a playlist for me. It's like something only seen in the movies. Is this really happening right now? Leave it to Flint Rogers to be the one to make one with me in mind.