CHAPTER 5

My dad flew out on Monday for a long meeting. It was shortly after our incident. He returned late last night. I haven't seen him since he discovered my secret. As I enter the kitchen I remember that it's Friday as well as Cam's party.

Derek sits quietly at the kitchen table while he stuffs his face with food. It's nice to be able to eat my breakfast without it being destroyed by my brothers. I take a seat across from him and pull out my phone. Thankfully I didn't have any nightmares to keep me from waking up late. Lucille comes walking into the room, dad lingers behind her. Out of the corner of my eye I watch them again, dad takes notice of every move she makes. He smiles to himself as she hums some lullaby. He continues to follow her with his eyes as she stands on her toes to reach something in a cabinet above the sink. I can't watch anymore so I turn back to Instagram to check what's new.

"Hey," dad's voice is quiet, as he stands beside the table.

"Hi."

I go back to checking my newsfeed while Dad lingers over me.

"What are your plans for tonight?" he asks.

"Cam is having a small get-together after the wrestling meet..."

Dad places his hands on the table and leans over.

"So a party without his parents...."

"Don't act like you didn't..."

"Marnie," he interjects. "I was only asking because I wanted to take you somewhere tonight, what time is your small gathering?"

I try to read his expression. He's not happy about my plans for tonight, that's for sure, but he also isn't objecting to my going.

"Eight or nine," I say.

Dad sighs. "I could have you back in time for your party, but you have to promise to be responsible."

"Why should I go with you?"

I immediately feel bad after saying it, but don't show it on my face.

"I don't know, Marnie, I thought maybe you and I could spend some time together. I have a surprise for you. I thought maybe once you might show your gratitude for things people do for you."

I'm taken back by his words. Setting my phone down I cross my arms tight at my chest.

"What time could you get me back by?" I ask.

Derek snickers from his side of the table. I'd love to shove his full plate of food in his face, but instead I sit back and wait for dad's response.

"Before eight," he gives a curt reply.

Spending time with Dad is something I haven't done in many years. Before dad was a slave to the town, he was first and foremost my father. We did things together that he never did with my brothers and that included going to concerts. He took me to my first Greenday show when I was nine. I'll never forget how he protected me from the wall to wall people by lifting me onto his shoulders. Tre Cool, their awesome drummer spotted me in my Greenday attire, and walked right over to us. He leaned out into the screaming crowd to hand me his drumsticks.

He also took me to see Charlotte Rising many times when they played local. Music was always our thing. I miss it more than I care to admit. He even taught me to play the drums and guitar. I learned to sing on my own, but I don't do much of it anymore. I'm too busy keeping up my reputation at school while he's too busy keeping up with town gossip.

"Okay," I say, my tone softer than before. "I'll go with you. What time do you want me home?"

"Be home by four."

Dad doesn't say another word, he doesn't even acknowledge Lucille as he walks out of the kitchen.

Derek narrows his eyes at me, gritting his teeth. "Damn Marnie, why do you have to be such a bitch? At least dad asks you to do things with him."

His jaw tightens as he glares at me. He stands removing himself from the table.

"I don't need a ride, Michael is on his way."

Michael is one of Derek's friends.

"Fine, why don't you ask him to take you every morning then," I shout.

Derek rolls his eyes. "His mom doesn't always drive him, but I just so happen to be texting him while you were arguing with dad and he was close by."

"Whatever."

Derek mumbles a string of profanities towards me under his breath, but says nothing directly to me as he walks out. I let out a frustrated scream, stomping my foot. When I turn to leave Lucille is watching me.

"What? Are you going to tell me what an awful person I am too?" I ask.

"I wasn't going to say anything Bella," she says.

I sigh heavily and storm to the garage to get out of here.

The drive to school is quiet, the only noise is the hum of the engine and the dull roar of music. Once there I park my car close to the school and head inside. Cam is already here chatting with Peter and a few others.

"Hey Cam," I say, my voice sounds shaky and weird.

"Hey babe," he says, throwing an arm over me.

He doesn't glance in my direction, his attention is focused on his friend Tyler, who must have said something funny before I walked up. Cam's shoulders shake with laughter, as his grip lightens on my shoulders. His shaking arm weighs me down and I lift it off me. Only then, does he notice I exist.

When his eyes finally land on me, my heart flutters hollowly at how distracted he seems. He's avoiding direct contact, allowing his eyes to float to whatever is happening behind me. I don't bother to look. His other friends are loud enough that I don't have to, because I recognize each voice. It's the wrestling team.

"I'm going to be late for your party, I'm doing something with my dad..."

"It's cool." His tone is flat.

My throat constricts, making it hard to form words. "Really?"

"Yeah sure babe, whatever you need to do is fine." He smiles, but it's not directed at me, it's at the event happening behind me.

He waits for a moment, then yells, "yo guys wait up!"

His nonchalant attitude leaves a vacant hole inside of me. With my eyes trained to the ground, I step around him and head for my locker. As I walk away his laughter intertwined with his friends echoes through the hallway, leaving me breathless.

Rose is already by my locker and saw the whole thing.

"What's up girly?" Rose leans into me. Her eyebrows draw together as she observes me.

"Nothing, I'm gonna be late to the party tonight. I'm going out with dad."

I want more than anything to be excited about going out with dad. I've been hoping for a night like this for a long time. Now with the unbearable weight of Cam's new attitude towards me, I can't help but want to crawl up in bed and stay there.

"That sounds like fun," she says. "Why so glum?"

I sigh. "I don't know. Cam's being weird and my dad is just getting into my business."

"Don't let it get you down girl, it's the fucking weekend and we are gonna get crazy," she says.

My lips pull into a smile, I need my friends more than they know.