Stefan smiled, his eyes reminiscent. "You remind me of someone. A friend, Lexi."

Billie widened her eyes dramatically. "Hold the phone, you have a friend? Call the president." He rolled his eyes at her antics. They talked and laughed for hours, Billie lost track of time. The only clock they had was through the hole in the roof, that eventually shone dark with night.

Harper had started a rock, paper, scissors championship. She used the pebble on the floor to mark her wins against Stefan on the wall, which were very few. At some point, Billie had invited Katherine to play with them, much to Stefan's protest, seeing as they had nothing better to do. She proved scarily competitive, but it passed the time.

Eventually, Billie heard footsteps racing down the stairs and Stefan's eyes widened as he raced out of sight. Billie frowned with confusion before she spotted Elena at the entryway, eyes wide with panic and tear stained cheeks. She threw Billie a wayward glance before rushing blindly towards the entrance. "Stefan?"

Seeing her intentions, Billie quickly stood up as to stop her from doing anything stupid. But Damon beat her too it. He appeared instantly in Elena's path, blocking her advance and pushing her against the wall. She let out a pained grunt and immediately began struggling while Billie watched on sadly.

"Don't you dare."

"Stefan's in there, Damon! How could you let this happen?" She stared up at him with accusing eyes, still fighting his iron grip.

"I was too busy saving you from your crazy kamikaze mission."

"You didn't even have to go after the moonstone in the first place!" She spit her words at him. Billie spied Stefan watching silently from a chamber inside, his eyes pained, but he didn't intervene.

"It was the right call, Elena."

"Right call? How is any of this the right call!" Elena raised her voice to shout at the vampire, her temper exploding at him. He didn't reply this time, seeing it was futile, but Elena struggled harder. She cast a pleading glance over Damon's shoulder at Billie for help, but even she knew, no matter how unconventional Damon was, he was keeping her safe.

"Damon let go of me. Damon!" She looked tearful at this point, her anger getting the best of her as she yelled at him. "Let go of me! Let go of me!"

Elena started to tire of her struggle, pitiful eyes glaring at Damon like he was the cause of all her problems. "Let go of me, please." She tried once more, her voice softer, tired and upset. Elena breathed heavily from her struggle, slacking back against the wall.

"You done?" Damon spoke, his voice free of emotion, but Billie could tell he was hurting too. He didn't want to be doing any of this to Elena and he certainly didn't want his brother stuck in a tomb. Billie wished Elena could see that, but as soon as he let go of her, she tried a go at the door to the tomb once more. Damon easily stopped her, tutting and wagging a finger, his eyes dangerous.

Elena scoffed, running a stressed hand through her hair and turning from Damon before she lost her temper again. The doppelganger cast a spiteful look at Billie, berating her with those brown eyes for standing by and Billie felt a pang of hurt, writing it off for the time being.

Stefan slowly came into sight, the sight of his brother seeming to bring him some degree of joy. Billie smiled sadly at him, nodding to Damon before climbing the steps out of the chamber tiredly, leaving the brothers to speak in private.

»»»

Billie was too shy to ask Damon for a ride home that night and Elena seemed to resent her for standing by and not rushing to her side. She'd refused to talk to her and got in her car, driving past without a look back. Billie felt it was best to just take the bus back.