Chapter Five.

“Rory this isn’t healthy.” Marti stood over me as I completed my thousandth push up, sweat trickling down my back.

Marti was a 5’3” bundle of brains and a sassy attitude. She’s by far one of the smartest people I’ve ever met and she does not let herself get pushed around by the wolves she comes into contact with. Marti is a werelion, though she can’t shift; a very common genetic trait for any female of a were- species. She doesn’t belong to a pride and doesn’t have a mate, though she is only seventy. Marti looked like a doll, an innocent little girl. With an upturned button nose, rosy porcelain skin, full, pink lips, big, cerulean orbs and bright red, curly long hair.  For someone behind computer screens all day, she had a gorgeous body; short and lean with a delicate hourglass figure.

“I’m fine.”

“No you’re not!” She yelled, sitting on my back as I pressed myself up again. I growled but kept going as the muscles in my upper body began burning.

“You spent centuries suffering unmentionable horrors just to protect your family but when they die, you don’t shed one tear. You don’t seem affected at all Rory! You’re like a robot; emotionless, cold.”  

I suppose that I should’ve been crying my eyes out and totally inconsolable but I just couldn’t cry; I didn’t feel anything but emptiness. I knew that they were gone and it was better this way. Rieker no longer had a hold over me and they were no longer in pain.

Lauren’s words kept echoing through my head though and it made me feel worse and worse.

‘It’s all your fault!’

I threw Marti off me and stood, coming face to face with the window. Snowflakes fell slowly outside, covering the world in white. It was a continuous cycle, one I was very familiar with. Seasons changed, people were born and died. The world kept moving and I kept killing.

My head snapped to a man standing on the corner, looking around as his nostrils flared. I ducked as his gaze swept over the window and swallowed a curse; I’d been here too long and they’d found me.

I had been careful, travelling all over the world to deflect their attention but always returning to Marti. I was careful. I constantly had to watch my back; after all, I was public enemy number one.

They’d put a hit out on me and I’m sure that almost every supernatural was just waiting for my death. I had escaped them once already and they were not going to let me go again without a fight.

“Marti.” I whispered, sliding across the floor, out of sight from the window, not that it would do any good; they could smell me. “Dump all the perfume you have on the floor, spray every aerosol can you have; remove every trace of me because they have found me.” I told her calmly. “They can’t do anything without exposing themselves to the humans, and if they try to drag me out, they’ll all die but you need to cover your tracks.”

She shook her head and watched me fearfully. “Rory, they’re desperate to find you; they’ll stop at nothing.”

I nodded and walked out to the balcony; it wouldn’t be as easy for them to track me if I’m on the rooftops.

I scaled the wall, easy and not that risky since we were only on the second floor. I was a master climber; it was one of the first things I had to learn in my training and I had taken to it like a duck to water.

Once on the top of the roof, overlooking the heart of London I surveyed the area to see that there were groups of men, clothed this time, closing in on the building. None of them had seen me, yet.