How to Try and Understand a Confusing Italian

On the ride back to the Vargas' home, the car was quiet, other than the radio playing softly, songs undoubtedly from decades ago from one of Roma's CDs setting an odd atmosphere in the car, one Antonio couldn't quite pinpoint. The mood in the car confused him, as did Lovino.

He couldn't quite figure out whether he was just having issues understanding the eldest of the Vargas brothers due to a bit of a language gap, or if it was a cultural thing, or if Lovino was just like that. Antonio didn't want to believe it was just because Lovino straight up didn't like him, instead thinking maybe it was one of the above, or maybe Feliciano was right, and Lovi needed time to warm up to him. That would be alright, Antonio thought to himself, I want to get to know him. He might take a while but that's okay.

To be honest, Antonio was more intrigued than anything else. Since arriving in America, Lovino had been one of the many confusing things he'd been encountering. He'd barely spoken to Antonio, and even looked displeased at most times around him, a stark contrast to his little brother, despite how similar they look. But just because it hasn't been as easy getting to know him as it was Feli didn't mean Antonio liked him any less, in fact it almost made him focus on Lovino more. He was just... strange, in an I-act-like-I-hate-you way.

From the scowl Antonio was greeted with at the airport to now, with Lovino's fiery personality coming out earlier that evening, Antonio was curious and even borderline charmed by him. Despite the obvious bad attitude, and frequent cursing (of course Toni knew how to curse in English, he's from Spain, not stupid), he found Lovino a tiny, little bit endearing.

Of course, it didn't help that from the moment Antonio had spotted him, he'd found Lovino quite attractive. Why was perfectly demonstrated as Antonio glanced up, seeing Lovino's olive skin absorbing the golden-orange sunlight, and due to his seat across the car from him, he could see light bouncing off of Lovi's dark lashes, and his bright hazel eyes that look darker indoors meeting his and--

Oh shit, he's staring, huh?

Antonio, not quite embarrassed, just smiled and waved slightly at Lovino, who just scoffed and turned back around

"So," Roma chirped, noticing the two, "Why don't we all watch a film tonight?"

Antonio, hoping to spend some more time around Lovi to understand him better, agreed almost immediately,

"But--" Lovino started, only to yet again be immediately hushed by Roma.

"I've already told you, Lovi." Roma stated, his tone sharp. He sighed, restoring his cheery attitude before asking, "Any film requests?" When no-one spoke up, Roma declared "Alright! Guess it's my choice, then."

The ride only took another few minutes before they were back at the white two-story house with a red door and green shutters. Roma rushed inside, calling for Lovino to follow and help prepare dinner. Getting out and shutting the door, Antonio was stopped for a moment by Lovino, before he had to rush in.

Lovino stepped in front of him, hands on his hips, and a frown gracing his delicate features. He looked Antonio in the eyes, before spitting out, "Don't fucking stare at people, by the way. It's weird."

Then he whipped around and rushed in the door, yelling to his grandfather in a language he couldn't understand. Things like that were why Lovino was so interesting. Saying he wants nothing to do with Antonio, but then willingly talks to him, even if to tell him to fuck off.

Slipping through the door and shutting it softly behind him, Antonio decided to join Roma and Lovino in preparing food. In spite of his keeping up a pleasant conversation with Roma, the room was quiet. Uncomfortably so. Even as they sat down to eat, through the meal, as they were washing up, it was just mute.

Popping the disc into the player, Roma immediately took the armchair, forcing Antonio and Lovino to sit together (not that Toni was complaining). Lovino walked in and chose to sit at the opposite end of the sofa as the opening to Casablanca started playing on the television screen. Other than the sounds of the movie, crackling with age, the room was silent. Antonio felt like neither Roma or Lovino were even breathing.

After maybe half an hour, Roma stood, stretched, and excused himself temporarily. This left Lovino and Antonio alone, sitting together on the sofa, three feet apart. He glanced over at Lovino, who was turned to the television screen, but obviously tuned out, not paying attention to the greyscale images flashing across the screen. Antonio opened his mouth to say something, then thought against it. Wrestling with himself for a second, eventually Antonio chose to speak up.

"You have seen this film before?" Antonio asked, trying to start with a friendly conversation.

"Yes." Lovino answered, voice flat. He really wasn't giving Antonio much to work with.

"Ah, I should've expected that. Feli said you grow tomatoes in the garden, but I haven't gotten a chance to look. They're probably ripe now, we should pick them!" He was desperately trying to find something to relate to Lovi over, and luckily Feliciano had informed Antonio that they both shared a love for tomatoes.

Lovino perked up a little at that, and actually looked at Antonio without a scowl and knitted brow, this time with only a scowl. "Yeah, I should go and see if they're ripe, they should be. Why do you care?"

Glad for his chance to bond over a common love with Lovi and to talk a little about his home, Antonio smiled and answered, "We grow them at my home in Spain, with some other plants. I care for the tomato plants, so because you do too, I thought we could care for them together!"

Lovino quirked an eyebrow and puffed, mumbling "Maybe that means you won't fuck them up."

"So we can?" Antonio beamed, "That's so nice, Lovi!"

Lovino turned away and quietly hissed "Whatever, shut up."

After their short conversation, they went back to watching the movie. Well, at least Lovino did. Antonio, instead, was thinking about how he can have a conversation like that with Lovi again, just longer. He was happy, feeling like he'd made progress with Lovino. He'd have to ask Feliciano what else Lovino was interested in, seeing as the younger brother had helped him out successfully this time. As the sun set over the tips of the trees, and Grandpa Roma returned to the room, the silence that had haunted Antonio before became more peaceful and relaxed without much explanation. He was well on his way to understanding the very confusing Italian sitting just a little closer than before.