Part 33

You know that time when you know you are about to wake up, but you cling onto the dream or thought you had while you were fully asleep?

As the smell of coffee fills my sinuses threatening to wake me up, I cling onto the moments from last night.

The laughter of Tom, his parents, and I still rings in my ears causing a wide smile to spread across my still sleeping face.

I can still feel the warmth and welcoming feeling from just being around Tom's parents. All of their family stories made my stomach hurt from laughing, especially the ones about when Tom was little.

I fight the usual battle against the sunlight as it streams into my room, but like normal, I lose which causes me to open my eyes and acknowledge the sound of Tom talking to his parents down the hall.

I rub my eyes, letting out a long yawn before throwing a sweatshirt on over my oversized t-shirt. I quickly pull my hair up into a messy bun and start moving across the quietly creaking wooden floor.

"Good morning!" Nikki lets out with bright eyes, obviously having been up for at least an hour.

"Good morning." I reply in a quiet voice as I still try and get used to being awake.

I hear the slight stomping of Tom's boot before he wraps his arms around me from behind. He places a soft kiss on top of my head before nudging me towards a mug filled with coffee.

I expect myself to feel awkward about being so close to Tom in front of his parents, but seeing the warm look in both of their eyes causes another feeling to show through, pure happiness.

"Just the way I like it." I say after taking a long sip and immediately feeling more awake.

"That's my job." Tom adds with a teasing wink.

"So I know that you guys were talking about how beautiful the mountains were here last night and I was thinking maybe we can go on a trail. There's this really gorgeous one that really shows the mountains and surprisingly it's pretty level, so Tom should be fine on it." I suggest, holding the warm mug in my cold hands.

I can see a twinkle in Dominic's eye, matching the one I've seen so many times in his son's whenever he gets excited. "That sounds lovely, y/n!" Dominic exclaims, his usual smile widening.

"I haven't had much pain in my foot since being put in the boot, so I should be fine." Tom's voice rises in pitch slightly, another thing I've noticed since being with him for these last few weeks that he does when he's looking forward to something.

"When should we head out?" Nikki asks, looking up from her mug to reveal a small and joyful smirk.

"Whenever you guys are ready. It'll start getting too hot at around two o'clock, but anytime before then the weather should be really nice." It's as if they had never left the house for Dominic and Nikki chug the rest of their coffee before heading toward their room to get ready.

After they're out of sight, Tom spins me around to face him before leaning down and kissing me softly. I let out a soft giggle, looking into his dark brown eyes.

"What was that for?" I ask, slightly biting my lip with the sense of shyness he always seems to draw me to.

"I have to make up for the times I won't be able to do that." He whispers, emotion causing his voice to crack.

We stand there for a few seconds in silence until I rest my head against his chest. "It won't be for too long. I'm sure if you stayed one more week we would've gotten into a fight and gotten tired of each other." I try to come up with an excuse, not knowing what else I could say to make him feel more at ease with our situation.

"I could never get tired of you." Great. How am I supposed to respond to that? My heart feels like it's being lifted and plunged down into my stomach all at once.

"Well, what about when your next movie comes out? Or when you have a break from work?" I suggest, clinging onto that hope that it won't be too long until we see each other in person again. "Let's just live today and deal with tomorrow when it comes."

He looks down at me, that usual smile creeping back onto his sad face. "You're right, like always." A quiet chuckle escapes his lips before he kisses my forehead gently.

"Now, we have a hike to get ready for. Go on." I shove him lightly before heading to my room, a permanent smile on my lips.

I simply throw on a pair of shorts and a baseball cap, not bothering to put on makeup after brushing my hair and teeth.

I slip on some sneakers and head out towards the family room at the same time as Tom comes out of the bathroom and his parents leave their room, we're all perfectly in sync.

Tom falls into line with me as we begin to walk down the hall together, his fingers finding their place entangled with mine.

As we get ready to head out, I can't help but notice how at peace I really am with them.

When I'm surrounded by Tom and his family, it feels natural and the same goes for when Tom's with my parents and I.

Even though I'm adopted, me and my parents are very similar and our family is quite quirky, but Tom fits in so well.

Not every couple needs to have fights to feel normal or human, if anything that's the wrong way to have a "healthy" relationship.

This is how it's supposed to feel. Easy.
~ ~ ~
Wow, okay I just want to say thank you guys so much for 2k reads!! That's absolutely crazy! I never thought my stories were gonna get a chance to be out there so thank you!

Please continue to vote and comment! It makes me so happy to see that you all are enjoying my writing :')

Can we get to 3k reads by the end of quarantine? (if y'all aren't in the loop it's coronavirus time xD- which also means I should be writing a bit more)

Again thank you guys so much and I'll catch ya in the next part!

~Aoife