"What do you want me to say?" Alex asked, her lips forming a small frown. Her hands found the edge of her desk and she held onto it to anchor herself. If she could focus on holding tightly onto her desk she could better focus on keeping her facial expression in check.

Cyn stomped over, got so close their faces were only inches apart, and stared deep into Alex's eyes. Alex felt Cyn look right through her, piercing and sharp. "You are going to tell me you didn't just screw your busgirl in your office? What is this, a game to you? She's seventeen!"

This time the frown was real, and Alex actually backed down, averting her gaze from the accusing glare of her waitress. "Who told you that?" The retreat didn't last long though, and just as quickly as they had left, Alex's blue eyes pinned Cyn again.

"Darby. The bubbly idiot can't keep a secret for her life, was giggling and humming and being, well, Darby." Cyn backed off—but only slightly. She straightened and glared daggers down into Alex's eyes.

"While it is none of your business," Alex began, her tone level and calm and the look in her eyes lethal. "I will have you know I did no such thing with my busgirl." She paused, inwardly cringed, and corrected herself, "Val. I didn't do anything with Val."

Maybe anything was a bit of a lie but Cyn didn't need to know that.

Cyn didn't look any less furious. "You know, Alex, if this is some sort of way for you to... I don't know... deal with Brian being back—"

"It's not," Alex said, cutting her off. She stood up now, feeling as though she wanted to take control of the situation again. Now she was looking down into Cyn's eyes, something she used to do often. "At least, I don't think it is." Her brow furrowed slightly and she became thoughtful.

Cyn rolled her eyes. "For someone who spends a lot of time just thinking you sure don't do enough of itLet's do the math, shall we?" Cyn placed a hand on her hip and arched a brow in Alex's direction. "You, 25 year old manager of a bar employs seventeen year old to work the night shift at said bar."

"She has school during the day," Alex defended. It was a lie but she remembered no one else working with her knew who Val really was. She was surprised, thinking one of them would've noticed eventually. But Val's story had begun to disappear from the news, and it's not like Alex employed the kind that would be up to date on current events.

"Right... anyway, I wasn't finished." She cleared her throat as if she were preparing to give a speech. "So," something Alex loved about Cyn was how she moved her hands as she spoke, illustrating everything in the air and not even noticing it. "So you employ a teenage high school student to work at your seedy bar... right?"

Alex sighed. It wasn't that seedy.

"And you seem to be doing a good job of ignoring her obvious crush on you. Then, all of a sudden I hear you're fucking Val in your office the night Brian, your psycho fiancé, is back from his business trip early. You're really going to tell me that scenario doesn't sound a little familiar? Does Val know she's not the first and probably won't be the last busgirl you've had fun with whenever your fiancé waltzes back into your life?"

Alex placed a comforting hand on Cyn's shoulder and tried to communicate how regretful she felt. "I'm really sorry, Cyn. You deserved better than that and I..." she looked away before meeting Cyn's eyes straight on again. "And I wish I could take it all back. If I could I would've never done that to you." Or the others, but Cyn had been different. She had actually liked Cyn.

Cyn slapped Alex's hand away, tilted her head back, and laughed like a hyena. But she wasn't amused, not really, because when she looked back at Alex there was hurt and pain swirling behind her eyes. "You know the fucked up thing, Alex? I would do it all over again because even if you don't love me, even if you don't want to be with me, I want you so bad that I'd be willing to let you use me."