Chapter 5

When Alex woke up she felt as though she were holding a soft, warm pillow, and she even idly wondered when she had made such a purchase before remembering that there was another body in her bed.

Her eyes shot open and she found herself wrapped around a smaller body. Her arms were wrapped around the young girl's torso and their legs had tangled beneath the sheets. Under her chin was a tangle of dark brown hair that smelled like her shampoo. Val was still dozing, her face peaceful and her arms tightly wound around Alex's waist.

Alex didn't do anything at first. The cogs turned in her head as she considered her options. She had always been a 'think first, act later' kind of woman. She could go back to sleep and pretend that she hadn't woken up to inappropriate touching between her and her 17-year-old employee or she could get out of bed before said 17-year-old employee noticed too.

The blonde shifted backwards slightly, checking to see just how tangled she was with Val, and if there wasn't a smooth exit she might just have to stay and wait for the right moment. There was a significant tug from Val, whose arms had locked around her waist tighter than a sailor's knot. Her arms didn't seem to want to let go and she made a cute grumble sound when Alex tried to wiggle free once more.

Alex gave up, and decided that if she were going to wait it out she might as well enjoy it. She shifted closer to Val, brushed dark hair from her eyes, watched her sleeping face, and admired her beauty. Val was classically beautiful, Alex thought. With dark hair, bright green eyes, and feminine features. Now that Val had been eating regularly and could finally sleep, Alex noticed her previously pale skin had gained an olive complexion, giving her a healthy glow. Alex suspected this was her natural skin tone, and thought that this was the first time Val actually looked like the Italian she claimed to be.

Unlike Alex's straight, Roman nose, Val's nose was small and cute, with the tip turned slightly upwards. Her lips were smaller too, but pink and soft, though Alex wouldn't know about the latter and didn't dare try to find out. Alex's eyes trailed lower, and she took a moment to admire Val's slender body. She vaguely remembered feeling the young girl's coltish thighs last night, remembered touching her black bra and wanting to take it off. Val's breasts were on the smaller side but they weren't small.

Alex realized where her thoughts had gone—the gutter—and quickly tried to shove the thoughts of Val's lithe body from her mind.

She managed to distract herself by focusing instead on the slight noises Val would occasionally make in her sleep. Sometimes they would be grumbles, sometimes they almost seemed coherent, and sometimes they were whimpers.

"Nirgh..." Val mumbled, before sleepily nuzzling into Alex's chest. Alex's chest was quite ample and she wasn't surprised they had been mistaken for a pillow.

Eventually, Alex began to fall back to sleep. Her half-dreams were filled with the flickering faces of her family members, the ones she refused to think of when she had complete control of her mind.

Maybe that's why she took in a runaway... because they weren't that different. These were her final thoughts as she finally succumbed to the darkness once again.

***

It was a few hours later when Alex woke up for the second time, although this time she did not feel arms wound tight around her, nor the feeling of smooth legs between and over her own. She propped herself up on her elbow and looked around her room. Val was nowhere to be found.

She slid out of bed, ran her hands through her thick mane of golden hair a few times, and then hurriedly padded down the stairs into her kitchen, where she paused upon seeing Val in front of her stove.