Dinner was a solemn event that evening. Keelan took two bites, pushed his plate away and made his way upstairs to his room without another word.

•••

The Celestial Circle, including Brindon, gathered downstairs in their shared living space. The twelfth ranker looked exhausted and a bit pale, but Brindon seemed livelier than normal. He greeted them with a "good morning" and a nod of his head. Brindon's face was still void of any emotion, but Valeriana had noticed his aura had significantly changed since yesterday.

Green and dusty brown seemed to be the main color surrounding him, but it seemed like a golden thread was attached to the outline of his body. Before Valeriana could ask any questions, Keelan came down the steps quickly and left for the portal without speaking a word to anyone.

It wasn't long until they arrived back in the clearing where the Chamber of Enlightenment loomed over them. First mornings light was beginning to kiss the tops of the trees. Keelan took in the sight before him, very similar to Brindon the day before.

A gentle hand was placed on his shoulder causing him to jump slightly.

"Everything is going to be fine, Keelan," Brindon said calmly. Everyone, including Keelan, were shocked by how many words he had spoken.

Keelan looked over his shoulder at his friends. Whatever was going to happen, they would be here when he returned.

And he would return.

With that comforting thought, Keelan rushed passed King Bertram and the two lords by his side into the Chamber before he could lose his nerve.

•••

The large stone doors slammed shut behind Keelan with a bang and another presence was palpable in the Chamber. Keelan searched for the hum of the earth underneath him, but was met with unsettling silence. He clenched his fists in frustration before spinning in a circle a couple times.

"What am I supposed to do," he wondered out loud as he scratched his head in confusion. Was it like this for Brindon too?

Suddenly, a booming sound echoed throughout out the room the eleventh-ranker was standing in. Keelan frantically searched for the source of the sound, but less than a millisecond later, he was free-falling through the gapping hole that had appeared.

A scream tore free from his throat and panic consumed his body. Keelan grasped at the air, hoping for anything that could save him.

As soon as the falling started, it stopped. Keelan was standing in what could only be the garden of the Ember Palace. As a children, Keelan, Corvan and their siblings actually spent quite a bit of time together. Considering that their parents were siblings, it wasn't abnormal to see the young Denovegesian prince in Arlandia on the weekends and vice versa. Keelan missed spending his days with Corvan when they were younger. 

"Keelan! What are you doing? Mother said it was time for tea."

A rather young Corvan said with a grin on his face as he grabbed Keelan's wrist. Suddenly, he remembered what had happened that day and he tried to jerk his arm away, but even at twenty-for, twelve in human years, Corvan had a fearsome grip.

"If you don't hurry the cakes will get cold and the chocolate won't run out of it! Come on! I'll race you," Corvan yelled over his shoulder as he took off through the maze-like garden.