CHAPTER 8

Walking through this vast wasteland has taken all of my energy. I'm thirsty, hot and tired and that makes it feel that much more real. What if it is? What does it all mean? Am I really a dragon? So many questions. Rowan stops and balls his hands into fists.

"Feels like we aren't getting any closer," I say.

Rowan is quiet, like he's attempting to figure out another way out. I reach up for my neck and rest my hand over the necklace. A bolt of electricity so fierce forces its way through me and for a moment the world goes black.

I'm back in the vortex only this time there's no color. When the spinning stops I'm deep inside some damp cave. It smells of mold and moss, but it feels like home. A beast roars as its tail smacks hard into the black rocky wall. She's angry.

A white male dragon comes storming in behind her. The dark female dragon spins on her back legs and roars loudly at the dragon.

I will do everything in my power to protect my spawn.

Somehow, I can translate what they are saying.

Ruby, I know this is hard for you but she will not survive under the goddesses spell. She just hatched two full moons ago.

My chest is heavy and feels as if someone is sucking out all the air inside this cave. The female dragon's voice is familiar, but my mind is telling me that it can't be, my heart - it tells me to go with my gut.

Then you will look after her, and you will save her.

The white dragon shifts his neck from side to side in long swift movements.

Ruby your...

The ground beneath me trembles. I hold steady onto the rock attempting to hold my ground.

Please Silas I beg of you.

Silas? In my heart I now know exactly who all of these dragons are. A young boy comes running into the cave. He's skidding on rocks and attempting to push them away by shooting his hands out in front. Silas scoops the young boy up into his tail and places him on his back. The boy, no older than four lays his head on the dragon's back facing me. Our eyes meet and I gasp.

Ruby, the dark scaled dragon whips her tail behind her. The rock is starting to crumble around us. Caught in her long spiny tail is a small dragon curled into herself shaking. She looks small and fragile. Silas closes his eyes and the orange, red and gold colors circle the entire cave.

Your daughter will stay safely with you until five rotations around the glowing ball of fire. That's all I can grant you. She is a special one Ruby. I see great things for her future and in order to secure that, I as well as my nephew will help guide her in this great journey.

The ground shakes harder and my hand slips on the rock. My head slams against the corner of it causing the entire world to go black again.