Green Curry and Wolf

Start from the beginning

"Is this your way of saying you'd rather cook for me, Chang Noi?"

I groaned and tried to storm off. He caught my arm and pulled me back until I crashed into his chest.

"P!" I exclaimed jerking away then looking around to see if anyone was watching.

"I'll buy the groceries, you cook." He ignored my outburst. "I feel like Green Curry."

I could stand there and argue with him or I could find something to eat. With a sigh, I frowned. "Fine." I tossed my hands up in surrender. "But you've sent away your car."

Wolf pulled out his cell, scrolled then lifted it to his ear. I tilted my head to one side, wondering what he could possibly be doing. He spoke in rapid English and I could barely keep up. When he hung up, he took my hand and walked off toward the sidewalk then down the street.

I looked down to where he held my wrist, stunned he'd done that. He walked like a man with a purpose, one who had things to do, worlds to smash. When I finally pulled myself together, I took my hand away from him.

We walked to the grocery store and I grabbed a cart. Luckily, I was able to pick up everything I needed to make the dinner he wanted—a green curry. Only I would be putting giant shrimps in it and we could eat it over coconut rice with a side of pumpkin soup.

Afterward, he paid, Wolf gathered the heaviest bag.

I didn't fight him on.

When we stepped outside, a black SUV waited. As he moved close to it, a man climbed out, walked around and accepted the bags. Wolf climbed in but I hesitated.

"Are you coming?" He stuck his head out to ask.

The driver took my grocery bag as well and I slimmed in beside him. When I reached out to close the door, the driver hurried back and did it for me. I scrambled to pulled the belt on.

Wolf sat like a man who was used to this. My eyes darted around the expensive interior. Though I tried being cool about it, I'd never been seated in such luxury before.

He rested a hand on my thigh. "You're nervous. Why?"

I pushed his hand away. It had sent electricity through me and I didn't understand it.

The ride wasn't a long one and by the time we arrived at my place, my heart was beating so fast, I could barely breathe. I tripped up the steps at the front and Wolf caught my arm to keep me on my feet.

He gathered the rest of the groceries and I escorted him into the building. When I walked him into my place, he removed his shoes. I did the same but didn't dare watch him walk further into where I lived.

It wasn't anything like his place but it was clean. He placed the bags on the counter then turned to look at me in that slow, way he usually does.

I put my bag on the sofa and headed into the small kitchen space and began unpacking the groceries.

"I'll try working on our project while you cook." Wolf said. "But maybe you should eat something before you start that. Here."

He was handing me a small pack of biscuits and a bottle of apple juice. I hesitated and he pressed the cold bottle against my neck.

I smiled and accepted it. "Thank you, P."

Wolf nodded and walked to where my bag was. I watched him pull out his laptop then turned to nibble at the snacks he'd gathered for me. I didn't know when he'd done that but it gave me a sense of warmth he even thought to.

I ate while setting up dinner, periodically stopping to work with him on our project. When dinner was finished, we cleared off the small table, piled it with the food I'd prepared and we sat on the floor, across from each other, to eat.