Prologue ~ Hannah

And we officially start with a new story. Hope you all like it. I'm very nervous about it, Misconceptions was such a success and I'm afraid you won't like this story as much. I'll try my best, I promise that. For this chapter, you might (probably not) need a box of tissues. I don't think you'll cry but you never know. Better safe than sorry, right?

At the sidebar, a picture of how I imagine Hannah (yes, as Karen Gillan).

-:-:-:-

Prologue ~ Hannah

I stumble into the house trying to keep quiet but, apparently, I’m not succeeding. My hand-eye coordination is worse than usual and I’m sure it’s because of those few drinks I had at the gig. I’m not a heavy drinker, but some very special occasions demand exceptions, and Ed Sheeran’s gig is one of those. It was bloody epic and I can still feel my heart beating so fast that I should be dead, maybe I’m dead already. For sure, that gig was the best thing that has happened to me this whole summer.

Best summer ever!

I giggle as quiet as possible whilst I try to put the keys on the hanger on the wall but it’s a bit blurry and my aim literally sucks. If I’m in this state, I don’t wanna know how Savannah’s doing. She has had more beers than I have and she was driving. Maybe I shouldn’t have let her drive home. We are lucky we didn’t crash and die. Or worse, get arrested as we are minors.

I’m about to go upstairs to my room; Mum and Dad must be sleeping already. I’m not supposed to get home this late, but after Ed’s gig, Savannah and I decided we needed to celebrate some more.

Time just flew by.

Nevertheless, something catches my attention before I can get to my room and it’s that the lights are on. I’m sure I didn’t leave them like that when I went out today. With a frown, I walk towards the door and open it to see my dad on my bed, his head in his hands, his shoulder are down and there’s this black aura surrounding him. Suddenly, I feel a lot more sober and I’m scared. I have a bad feeling and my heart is hammering in my chest for a very different reason this time.

“Dad,” I call out to him as I walk slowly towards my bed. He looks up and his eyes meet mine. His are bloodshot and there’s pure pain there.

I can see clearly now, I don’t feel drunk anymore. I’m frozen; every single cell in my body is frozen because I know something bad has happened to have my dad like that. He’s the strongest man I’ve ever known, he’s always fine even when everything seems to crumble around him.

“Hannah,” he says and his voice is trembling. Something is terribly wrong, I know that and I’m bloody scared. “I– I tried to call you.” He adds trying to put himself together. I’m still standing there, three feet away from him, my heart pushing cold blood into my veins.

“My battery died,” I explain though I don’t know how I’m able to utter a word, my throat is dry and my tongue feels heavier than ever. “Wh–what’s wrong?” I ask because it would be impossible if something was not wrong. Something is horridly wrong.

“Hannah,” he whispers and there’s so much pain in his voice that my sight is blurry again, this time because of the tears that are streaming down my face. “Your mum… She…” He tries to say but his voice brakes and I start to grow frantic.

“What happened to Mum?” I demand to know, my voice an octave higher yet it sounds all shattered.

“When… When she was driving home…” Dad can’t speak; he has to take a deep breath to resume what he’s trying to tell me. “It was an accident. The brakes of a truck failed and he couldn’t stop at the red light. Your mum was caught in an accident. The ambulance…” His voice breaks again and more tears are going down my face. “The ambulance couldn’t get there in time. When they got there, your mum… she was gone.”