Chapter 3

I woke up to my friend FaceTiming me on my phone and I picked up.  It was Matt, who was one of my really close friends.  He was about 6ft with light brown hair and very athletic.  We always FaceTime about the stupidest shit in the world so I had no idea why he was calling me.

As soon as I answered, he said "Hey (Y/N)- Did you just wake up?"

"Yeah, why?  This is a judgement free zone."

"Bro it's 2pm."

"Oh damn..."

"Anyways... Are we gonna watch the game tonight or what?"

"Oh shit.  I forgot to tell you.  I can't anymore cause I'm going to it."

"Naw it's chill.  Josh and I will watch it together then.  Have fun bro, but uh not too much fun." He said and winked.

"What do you mean not too much fun?  It's a Heat game not a strip club."

"I know.  It's just something people say."

"I don't think that's right, but I'll let this one slide."

"Okay well thanks for being so lenient I guess."

"Alright man.  Bye, I'll talk to you later."  I said and then hung up.

The game was at 5 so I still had time to get ready and stuff.  I put on a grey Miami Heat t-shirt and kept the same shorts on.  I put on a pair of black vans and took a Miami Heat string  bag out of my closet.  I put my wallet and a cheesy pair of Miami Heat sunglasses in it which my dad gave to me when I was small, but I try to wear them to every game I watch anyways.

I checked the clock and it was only 2:45.  I was going to leave around 3:30 so I still had time left.  Fuck.  I was excited as shit bro.

When it was finally time to leave, I turned off the lights and locked my door.  I saw Mrs. Garcia walking down the hallway holding Mr. Garcia's hand.  She looked a lot happier than he did.

I started walking towards the American Airlines arena and I couldn't stop smiling.  I don't get to go to basketball games too often and especially not now since I'm in college.  Looking in my wallet is like looking opening the fridge multiple times to see if any new food appears.  Unfortunately though, I never magically have more money in my wallet.

I started getting closer to the arena and I saw all the fans lining up to get through security.  I got even more excited.  There were so many Heat fans, but also a couple Bucks fans.  I don't blame them though.  Giannis is a beast, but the Bucks seem to have trouble defeating the Heat.

Whenever I wait in line for the games I quickly realize that no matter how crazy of a fan I am or think I am, there is always someone ten times crazier than me.  A couple spots behind me in line, there were 3 dudes dressed as nuns.  I got the pun.  Kendrick Nunn.

The security got to me and I quickly passed through and got to my seat.  The players were warming up and I saw Spoeltra with some assistant coaches getting ready for the game.

When it got to starting lineups, shit was wild.  I can't even explain how crazy it was.  There was fire and lights and the energy in the arena was insane.

The people sitting next to me on the right was a mother and her son.  The child looked like he was being hypnotized.  He was wearing a Kendrick Nunn jersey and when he was announced, the kid started jumping up and down.  It was adorable.

The people on my right were two men who looked like they were ready to get drunk.  They were already half way done with their first beers and the game hadn't even started yet.

After the starting lineups were announced, the bench started walking back to their seats.  I was watching them come back when I made eye contact with one of the players.  It was Tyler Herro, the rookie from Kentucky.  He was pretty good.

Then he semi-shouted over the cheers, "See you got home safe!"

What? I was thinking.  I had no idea what he was talking about.

He laughed when he saw I was confused and then looked away.  Then it hit me that Tyler freaking Herro just talked to me.  Part of me freaked out, but then I just got into the game.

I loved that Tyler Herro.  He was good.  A great 3-point shooter and awesome to put in at crunch time.  He played for two minutes at the end of the first, subbing for Duncan Robinson.  Herro got one 3, but played pretty good defense too.

He started the 2nd quarter and played for about 4 minutes until Spo put Robinson back in.  He finished the half with 12 points on four 3s, but was also awkwardly 0 for 2 at the charity stripe.  It didn't matter though.  The Heat were up 54-48.

Robinson was having a great night.  He had five 3s in the first half, but 3 fouls.  He played for the majority of the 3rd quarter anyways until he picked up his fifth foul and then Tyler got put in.

On one of Tyler's defensive rebounds he chucked the ball down to the other side of the floor to Derrick Jones Jr. who then made one of the sickest dunks I'd ever seen.  It was like a 360, but while putting the ball through his legs. Would've been hella embarrassing if he had missed though.

The third quarter ended 87-84 with the Heat still in the lead.

When crunch time approached and the Heat were leading by 7, I could tell that Giannis was getting frustrated.  The entire arena was chanting "Let's Go Heat" and the Bucks kept on having defensive breakdowns.

The game ended 104-95 Heat.

I didn't want to leave just yet because I knew it would just be a mess leaving.  So I stuck around for a bit.  The kid next to me got his jersey signed by Kendrick Nunn as the players were leaving and the guys next to me got a little drunk and they kept asking me what 9+10 was.  Dead meme.

After the majority of people left I started to get up when I heard someone yell at me.

"Yo!"  I heard someone say.

I turned around to see Tyler Herro looking at me from near where the Bench was.

"Hello?" I said back. Still very confused about why he was talking to me.  Not angry about it though.

"Do you not remember me?" He asked.

"I mean I know who you are, but I don't think you know who I am."

"I was the one that almost hit you with my car."

My face turned a little red and I replied, "Oh I am so sorry about that." It was so dark that I didn't even realize it was him.

He laughed.  "No that's fine.  You're just lucky I'm a good driver.  What's your name?"

"(Y/N).  I would ask you what yours is, but I would just look dumb if I didn't know your name."

He laughed a little bit and then I started to question whether it was a genuine laugh or not.  I started worrying whether he actually thought that was funny or I just embarrassed myself further.

"What if I took you out somewhere one day?"  He asked.

I turned around unironically to make sure he was still talking to me.  He laughed at that even though I wasn't trying to be funny.

"Sure!"  I said trying to sound sweet.

"Awesome!  Here, gimme your phone so I can put my number in it."

I reached out, but I was too short to reach him.  Fortunately he was 6ft 6 and also had very lengthy arms so it was not an issue.  He put my number in his phone and said, "You better not forget to text me cause I don't have your number."

Me text first?!?! Shit.

He walked off into the locker room and I left the arena and walked back to my apartment trying to process what just happened.