Chapter Twenty-Nine

Start from the beginning

The three men nod and salute, making Harry assume he is the colonel. The men file out one by one, the door clicking shut behind them.

"State your names and rank." The man demands, leaning forward on his elbows.

"Liam Payne, stationary medic."

"Harry Styles, soldier."

Louis looks at them before responding, "Louis Tomlinson, soldier."

"Niall Horan, soldier."

The man purses his lips, "You said you're from a company 100 miles southwest from here?"

"Just about, sir, yes."

"What occurred? Is the rest of your company on their way?"

"No, sir. We had a run-in with a group of Confederates that resulted in a few casualties, including our corporal. There was an argument over who would take over command after him."

The man quirks an eyebrow, "The highest ranking sergeant resumes control if anything happens to the corporal."

"We know, sir, but our highest ranking sergeant was very corrupt and was willing to run our company into the ground. A democratic vote was taken for Mr. Harry Styles to resume control instead. There was overwhelming support."

"Then what was the issue?"

Liam sighs, "The sergeant was not accepting of our ruling. In the night, he snuck back into the camp overnight and attempted to forcibly remove Harry from power." He takes a breath. "I took care of it, but the entire company was roused in the commotion. In order to protect Harry, Niall, Louis, and myself, we escaped during the night."

"That is desertion, Mr. Payne."

"I am aware, sir, and I apologize for leaving our assigned post. But that's why I brought us here. We were unsafe in our assigned company because of corruption and hatred, but we would like to continue to lend our services to the fight. If you would like, you can assign us to a new company, or keep us here."

The colonel scoffs, "I should try all of you for desertion and possibly treason for refusing to allow your sergeant to resume control as corporal."

Harry tenses, looking at Liam. Liam doesn't flinch. "Please, sir. If you were present in our company, you would've run too."

"Are you sir of that, Mr. Payne?" He sniffs. "And what of these two? Tomlinson and Horan, why were they included?"

"As you can probably tell, Mr. Horan is very hurt. He needs more advanced medical attention, which I was unable to provide to him during our limited time in the company after the skirmish with the enemy. And Louis... Mr. Tomlinson is a close acquaintance of Mr. Horan's."

"Close acquaintance?"

"Yes, sir. Mr. Tomlinson would have not stayed in the company when Niall was away to get medical treatment. Plus, I wouldn't have asked him to, considering all that occured."

The colonel's eyes glance over Louis. "Is that correct, soldier?"

Louis nods immediately. "Yes, sir. Niall and I were enlisted together and have fought side by side since day one. I would never abandon him."

"If that's so, why is Horan in Styles's lap and not yours?" The colonel quirks an eyebrow.

"Mr. Styles and Mr. Horan have a... different type of relationship." Liam cuts in.

"I see." The man tsks, tapping the desk with his pen. His eyes glance over the four of them, his gaze rigid, before he breaks into a laugh. "Everyone is so nervous!"