overdue confessions | kuroken

Lev carefully opened the door, glanced back suggestively at the pair, and left the house. Kenma suddenly became very focused on the creaking of the door hinges in order to avoid conversation, which Kuroo easily noticed. The silence that blanketed the two seemed unnaturally tense. Kenma surreptitiously cast glaces at him, observing the way his jeans hugged his figure.

'He certainly knows how to look good,' he thought, smiling to himself.

He realized he had no reason to stay in Kuroo's house, yet leaving would create a more uncomfortable atmosphere.

'Maybe I can say I have a doctor's appointment? No, that's too predictable. Besides, that's what I tell people when I'm late to dates I didn't want to go to, so that won't work right now,' he considered.

"Do you want a house tour?" Kuroo asked suddenly, running out of ideas.

"Uh, yeah, sure," Kenma responded. He hoped it would distract him for the time being.

"We don't have to. I mean, if you'd rather do something else together– wait, that came out wrong. Uh... I'm sorry." Kuroo fiddled with the top buttons of his shirt as he pondered his next statement. "I have a record player in my room, if maybe you want to listen to some music."

"A record player? That's so cool! I love vintage things; I actually have a typewriter at my house."

"Perfect!" Kuroo cheered. He loved seeing Kenma's face light up.

"What do you have?"

"Eddie Cantor, Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra... I think I have Édith Piaf here as well."

"Édith Piaf sounds good."

Kuroo's chair slid from the table abruptly, serving as a cue for Kenma to follow. They quickly ascended the winding staircase. Kenma held tightly to the railing, taking each step with caution while Kuroo scaled the polished wood with practiced ease.

Upon reaching the top, Kuroo began walking down a hallway branching to the right. His eyes returned at intervals to ensure that Kenma was still following, although Kenma was so captivated by the sheer size of the building that he hardly noticed.

Kuroo's voice was so unexpected that Kenma nearly jumped.

"You said you like Édith Piaf?" he asked, turning sharply to face a closed door. "What's your favorite song?"

Kenma's contemplation on the matter lasted mere seconds. "'La Vie en Rose' has always been my favorite," he answered. "It's soothing in a way. Romantic at the same time." Kuroo hummed absentmindedly, nodding at Kenma's words. He reached for the door's handle.

"And it's pretty," Kenma added. "It reminds me of... well, you, actually."

Kuroo froze.

"You, uh. You have a calming energy," Kenma hastily explained, internally praying that he hadn't made the situation awkward.

To his relief, Kuroo resumed moving, a soft "that's good to hear" escaping his mouth. He pulled on the door handle, and then motioned for Kenma to follow him inside. Heart pounding almost eagerly, Kenma complied.

Kuroo's room was not far from what Kenma had expected. Relatively clean, a minimal color scheme with touches of gold accenting the finer details. The promised record player stood on a table a few feet from the bed.