Chapter Three

Josephine

I trot unhappily next to the alpha as he walks back towards the scene of destruction he created. I've tried multiple times to fall back and steer off course to escape him but every time, he growls deeply at me.

It's not even a threatening growl. It's just him reminding me that's a bad idea because he'll catch up and then I'll be in trouble. Maybe it'll be worth it in the end. At least I would be able to say I tried. My mate is a monster. Of course. My pack is still in the same position it was when we left it.

As he walks past my pack with me trotting slowly behind him, I can feel their eyes on me. Most eyes are surprised that I'm actually alive. I notice Kaiden watching me with distress and I glance at Alpha Lupine walking and not really paying attention to me. He'll notice I've steered off course again of course but this is worth the risk. Kaiden is the one and only friend I have. With one last glance at the alpha, I veer towards Kaiden and come to a stop before him.

He whines lightly at me and I whine right back. Aw, Kaiden. I'm seriously going to miss this guy. I know the alpha is approaching before I actually see him towering next to me. Kaiden avoids looking him right in the eye as the alpha growls threateningly at him.

Get the fuck away from him before I lose my shit, he snarls at me in my head and I paw at the ground stubbornly. I don't want him to just order me around like this. Im his mate and he said he wouldn't hurt me so what am I actually scared of?

He pushes the side of my rib with his nose, warning me to step away. I look helplessly at Kaiden and he doesn't meet my eyes. I know this is killing him, knowing that I'm going to be with this monster for the rest of my life. But he can't do a thing about it unless he wants to die. I look up at the alpha who does, in fact, look about ready to lose his shit and I whimper.

Don't do that, he says softly almost as if pleading with me. It hurts to hear you in pain. And he's not kidding. I can practically feel him hiding his pain within his fierce expression. He would rather die than lose his pride by seeming weak in front of another man. I know that for a fact.

You could always let me go, I suggest. He looks down at me then and his eyes scare me. That was definitely not a good thing to say. Before he can get mad at me in front of all of these men, he snarls at me angrily and picks my up by the scruff of my neck again. I look at Kaiden as the alpha runs off with me. I howl at Kaiden and he howls in response. As he's suddenly disappears from view, I go limp in the alpha's grip. Fighting seems pointless now.

He sets me down and pushes on the top of my back with his job. His strength and height dominance over me is going to become an issue with me, I can already tell. He wants me lay down but should I? Maybe if I disobey him enough, he'll get tired of me and kill me. I think it might even be considered a mercy kill. But I'm not in the mood to die right now so I lie down as told. He growls in approval as if praising me for obeying him.

I tense up as he stands perpendicular to me before he runs his tongue across my side. Ew. Oh god, what's he doing? He does that for a while, making sure to lick almost every inch of me before he looks in my eyes with his own. Those are eyes meant to terrify yet here he is, looking at me like I actually make him happy. Yeah right! Mate or not, he's a crazy-ass monster.

Are you going to follow like a good mate or do I need to carry you some more? He asks and I growl at him. He stares at me as if asking me if I really wanted to do that. I stand up and glare up at him. Yes, yes I did want to growl at him. He might as well kill me if this is what the rest of my life is going to be like. Watch it, little mate. My patience isn't the best when it comes to disobedience.

Well I guess you'll be losing your patience a lot then. I bite back and he snarls at me before trotting off towards the men holding the women. I sit down and watch him stubbornly. He's certainly not paying attention to me now. He won't even notice I'm gone until I'm halfway out of the woods. Maybe three quarters of the way out if I'm lucky and he's distracted.

I wait a little longer and watch as he approaches the poor, now childless mothers. One of the women pleads with him to let her hold her boy and I flinch when he snarls at her. He's a monster. A completely heartless monster. All of the women shut up after that. They sob but none of them speak. He turns to one of his men and seems to be speaking to him through the pack link. Here's my chance. Whiles he's too distracted by this man, he'll forget about me briefly and I can make my escape.

I count to four before standing up, turning around, and sprinting into the woods. If he noticed my disappearance then he'll surely catch up. Hopefully he didn't though. I'd cross my fingers if I had them right now.

Out of nowhere, I'm tackled to the ground from the side. A wolf has me pinned to the ground and I blink up at him, feeling dazed. He's growling lowly at me and I recognize his back fur.

Oh great, the monster found me.