You're my Idiot

The door creaked open.

I didn't move, I was still asleep, in the same position I had fallen asleep in. Half on the bed with my feet dangling off, my face slightly buried in the blankets.

The ceiling fan was on, creating a light breeze.

My sleep was black and dreamless.

The door shut.

I was still asleep.

I didn't hear the footsteps on the floor.

They stopped at the edge of my bed.

I bet I looked pathetic, if they could even see me.

I hadn't closed my curtain so there was some moonlight coming in.

The bed sunk down beside me.

I adjusted myself slightly, turning my face so it was no longer pressed into the blankets.

The cool air from the ceiling fan hit my face, hair was stuck to my face from where the tears had dried.

It was silent.

For a long time.

There was slight movement, which pulled me from my deep sleep.

I was on the edge of sleep.

There was a sniffle.

Silence.

Then another.

More silence.

More sniffle.

Silence.

Sniffle.

Then, a voice.

"Oh my gosh I'm so fucking sorry, what have I done?"

Then pressure on my back.

I opened my eyes.

"I'm so sorry."

It was a whisper.

"I am so fucking sorry."

Another whisper but followed by sniffles.

"You saved me. Then I treated you as if you were the one with the knife."

"Dominic?" My bones felt heavy at the mention of his name.

Silence.

"I heard you."

More silence.

I reached my hand out and felt something warm.

I knew it was him. I reached over to my nightstand and turned on the lamp, squinting my eyes for a second before looking to the boy.

He was curled up, his hands in his hair, his body rising and falling quickly.

I sat up and grabbed ahold of him, pulling him up so I could see his face.

Tears covered his puffy face. His lips were swollen and pinker than usual. His eyes were bloodshot from how much he was crying, eyeliner was smudged under his eyes.

He would not meet my eyes.

I pulled him into me, leaning back against my pillows as I pulled him against me. I held him tightly as he cried into my shoulder. I rubbed my hand against his back slowly, trying to calm him down.

"Hey." I said quietly.

"Hey." He said back, his voice raspy and quiet.

"Look at me."