15 - DOWNFALL

"KAELYN, DEAR, WE'RE SO GLAD YOU'RE HOME," Kaelyn's sad excuse for a mother exclaimed in anguish and relief as the two adults entered the apartment

"KAELYN, DEAR, WE'RE SO GLAD YOU'RE HOME," Kaelyn's sad excuse for a mother exclaimed in anguish and relief as the two adults entered the apartment. Beth, Kaelyn, and Peter had been cuddled up on the couch watching all the movies the couple had missed in the last five years. As soon as the pair entered the room, Kaelyn stood up on edge, activating only the portion of her suit that held the spear. According to Caden, they had been disappearing on and off for the last five years and knowing her suspicions, Kaelyn knew that could only mean bad news.

"Kaelyn, honey, put that away, we're your parents," Weston cut in, motioning to the weapon with an exasperated expression.

The redhead shook her head, "What the hell have you been up to the last few days? Caden told me about the people coming through, the whispers of the downfall of S.H.I.E.L.D. Don't come back in here and feed me more bullshit about trying to protect me when I know damn well all you ever wanted was to weaponize me. It's no coincidence that two people desperate to take down one of the most prestigious operations happen to have a daughter that can't be harmed. I have been through enough shit lately, I won't be taking any of it from you."

Her mother looked utterly aghast, but the teenager couldn't give less of a shit. "Kaelyn, I am your mother. I don't care what you've been through, I won't tolerate this behavior from you. Your brother has turned you into some silly conspiracy theorist. We've had friends over, yes, because we continued to grieve those we lost in the blip, to grieve you. I don't know how, after seeing your parents for the first time in five years, you think it is okay to speak to us like this."

Kaelyn noticed Peter had gotten up and was now standing behind her, his hand was on her wrist, but the intention was clearly not to hold her back as his touch was too gentle; it was supporting. Beth had also gotten up to stand by her side, surely giving her parents the bitchiest death glare she could muster. Kaelyn was glad she had everyone besides her; she felt so empty without Beth in her life, but now things could start getting back to normal.

"Oh, bullshit. You weren't grieving me. If anything, you deserved it. You left me alone for six years. We're even now, right? The closest thing I ever had to a parent is dead and you two don't cut it. You can live here, for now, but things are going to be a little different now that I'm back in town, got it? If any shady dealings take place in this apartment, I will be calling Nick fucking Fury himself to take care of it. I don't care what you claim it is, I know damn well you've had shit going on with all kinds of bad people ever since that man representing Adrian Toomes came by five years ago," Kaelyn spat, keeping the white-knuckled grip on her spear, "As far as I know, my parents are dead. No more lies, no more shady shit. Got it?"

"We're not lying to you, we would never--"

"What about when you lied about being dead?" Kaelyn cut off her father before he could finish off his bitter lie. She had her world turned upside down and she was done dealing with things she didn't deserve, "Tony Stark was the closest thing I had to a father, you two can hardly compare yourselves."