03 - TELLS

A LIFETIME AGO, Kaelyn had a plan to figure out what really happened to her parents all those years ago

A LIFETIME AGO, Kaelyn had a plan to figure out what really happened to her parents all those years ago. She was different now. She learned, grew, discovered truths that were meant to stay buried six feet under with the people she believed to be her parents. Now, she had a new plan. She avoided as much contact with the people in her home in an effort to keep the memories she treasured alive and the parents she knew dead. Now, she had a plan to take them down. However, this plan had to be kept as absolutely secret as the last one, meaning no one besides Peter and Tony Stark (for S.H.I.E.L.D reasons, of course) could know. This called for the most heartbreaking thing Kaelyn had ever experienced: lying to Beth.

"Hey, you haven't been wearing your mom's necklace? I'd ask if she took it back but I can literally see it on your desk right there," Beth questioned as she hung upside down off the side of Kaelyn's bed. Her dark hair just barely touched the ground as she had recently cut it just past her chin, a decision Kaelyn supported one-hundred-percent. She was just glad she had been able to talk her friend out of getting bangs. As much as she loved her best friend, she didn't need her to start looking like Knives Chau. What's next? A blue streak? Ugh, Beth is so lucky to have Kaelyn by her side.

The redhead shrugged as she continued to braid her hair mindlessly while ignoring the open textbook on her desk. Eyeing the necklace, she tried her hardest not to think about how it almost felt like burning every time the thing touched her skin. That necklace belonged to someone Kaelyn could barely remember; definitely not the woman living in her home.

"I don't know. I guess now that I have my mom back I don't need it as much," Kaelyn answered, doing her best not to show any of her tells. Beth knew all of them, the fidgety fingers, the slight hesitation in her voice. As casually as she could, she went along with the lie, "It just doesn't feel as necessary. Plus Peter got me a gorgeous necklace for our one year so I might just start wearing that."

"Replacing your mom with your boyfriend? Ouch!" Beth joked, giggling so hard at her own statement she snorted and almost fell off the bed. "Just kidding, I know you're lying. You already told me Peter got you a sunflower bouquet and a promise ring, dumbass."

Kaelyn turned to face her friend with a furrowed brow, "What makes you think he didn't get me a necklace, too?"

"Kae, that boy's job is the superhero equivalent of an unpaid internship, he can't afford much more than that. Also, I know your tells, even the ones you don't know," Beth shrugged as she sat up and straightened out the mess her hair was after flipping over.

"Hey! You said you told me all my tells!"

"I lied, duh, how else would I be able to figure out you're lying if you hide your tells?" Beth said with a laugh, grabbing her friend by the wrist and pulling her over so they were both sitting cross-legged on the redhead's bed. "What aren't you telling me, Kae? I haven't seen that necklace anywhere but your neck for the past seven or eight years now."