08 - LAST DANCE

COMING TO TERMS WITH THE IDEA that she was going to die was

COMING TO TERMS WITH THE IDEA that she was going to die was... rough to say the least. The worst part was probably waiting. Kaelyn didn't want to leave Peter's arms because she didn't know much longer she was going to be alive to appreciate it. Maybe she was being a bit of a dampener, but things were looking fairly bleak. While they waited, it was tough to think about what kind of chaos was going on in the rest of the world. Being completely cut off was horrible as Kaelyn viciously bit at her nails while the adults tried to figure things out.

"Hey, hey," Peter spoke gently as the two of them sat on the dusty ground of Titan. He pressed a chaste kiss to her temple before whispering in her ear, "I promised, okay? We're gonna get out of this."

"You don't have to pretend we're gonna make it out of this alive, Peter," she muttered, "I just wish I hadn't left behind such complicated things. I mean, my parents are definitely trying to infiltrate S.H.I.E.L.D, I have no idea if Caden is okay, I miss Beth. God, I miss Beth more than anything in the world. I don't know how to function without her voice in my ear on missions, Peter. I can't do this. I knew... I knew loving you was going to be dangerous, but I'm not ready to die."

Peter wiped the silent tear rolling down her cheek as he looked at her with sadness in his eyes. Brushing her hair to the side, he kept his hand cupping her jaw. The touch was small and gentle but paired with the look in his eyes it meant so much. "Kae, we're not going to die. At the very least, we aren't going down with a fight. Everything back home can wait, it doesn't have much of a choice, honestly. You want to see Caden and Beth again? Then we have to fight like our lives depend on it. Well, because they do. When have you and I ever put up anything less than the fight of our lives? We're a team, a damn good one at that. I promised you we're getting through this and we will."

It was chaste and careful the way Kaelyn touched him, reaching out and cupping his face as he did hers. Her fingertips danced across his smooth skin as she pulled his face to hers and kissed him through her tears. She knew without a doubt that Peter was her first great love and at this point, he may very well be her last. Kaelyn was going to soak in every moment with him in its saccharine sweetness if it was the last thing she did.

When she pulled away, the heat in her cheeks could be felt as her face was flushed and her eyes beginning to get puffy. Looking up for a moment, she caught eyes with Tony who turned away. He must have been dead set on letting the kids have their moment while he tried to work out a plan with Starlord and Doctor Strange. The day before she would have fought to be included in the grown-up conversations, now all she wanted was to go back to being a kid instead of having the world on her shoulders. Her arms were getting heavy and she couldn't hold it up much longer. Soon, the girl would be crushed.

"I hate this stupid waiting game," Kaelyn mumbled bitterly as she rests her head on her boyfriend's shoulder and he tightened his arm around her shoulders. "I just want to fight and get this over with."