Two Birds of a Feather

Start from the beginning

"Nice to meet you, too," Virgil said.

They were going to continue talking until Patton let out a sharp whinny.

"Talyn!" he squealed, galloping over to the fence, Roman and Logan following close behind with Emile and Remy at their heels.

Virgil watched as the three horses reached the fence were the three humans were leaning their backs on. Now that he was closer to them he had the chance to observe them better. The one Patton ran to was a small human with brightly colored hair and glistening objects perched on their nose and over their eyes. They were wearing a bright outfit and holding out their hand to Patton with something in it for him to eat. The one stroking Logan was a slightly taller human with darker and shorter hair covered by a bright object, some fur was growing on their chin and the sides of their face. Their attire was one of duller color and was simply patting Logan's neck. Finally the human with Roman was the tallest of the bunch, but not by much with light brown hair, their teeth bared and dressed in semi colored objects. This human was pulling their twig like limbs through Roman's forelock and rubbing his hand on the stallion's muzzle.

The horses seemed so content and, dare he say it, happy with the humans. It puzzle Virgil so much that he had to check it out himself. The stallion slowly started to walk over to the humans, going to the one that was cooing over Patton. He stayed about a tail-length away but stretched his neck to get a quick sniff of the human. To his surprise when he did the human bared their teeth at him and began to stoke his muzzle. He jerked his head away in surprise, but after a few moments put it back as he realized he liked the feeling. The human nickered and cooed at him, their small, soft hand rubbing up and down on his muzzle, tickling his whiskers.

"Do you like it Virgil?" Patton asked while smiling at him.

"It's. . . . Nice," Virgil admitted.

"Yeah Talyn's pretty great. They're my rider and owner and I love them so, so, so, so much," said Patton.

"Who are the other two?" Virgil asked, looking at the other human's.

"The one with Logan is Joan, they're pretty nice and funny, but loud and has a foul mouth. The other is Thomas, the owner of this land and Roman. He's funny, nice, and cares deeply about us. All the humans do," Patton explained.

Virgil nodded and trotted over to the one called Joan who was still stroking Logan. When Virgil arrived Joan bared their teeth as well, but Virgil ignored the gesture and began sniffing the human.

"Looks like you made a new friend Joan," Thomas laughed.

Joan and Talyn both laughed at the comment. Virgil noticed Joan was ducking their head so he took the time to sniff the strange object covering the human's hair. It was bright orange in color and awfully soft so Virgil decided he wanted it. The stallion nibbled on the object before nipping it between his teeth and pulling it off Joan's head.

"Hey! My beanie! Give it back, you asshole!" Joan shouted, lunging for their object now dangling in Virgil's mouth.

Virgil took small steps back to avoid the flying human, before he turned tailed and started cantering around the arena. Joan stumbled, but caught themself and continued to chase after Virgil, all the while shouting at the stallion.

"You little motherfucker! Get back here with my beanie!"

Thomas and Talyn were almost on the ground from laughing so hard and the other horses were quite amused too. Virgil did eventually give Joan back the beanie after nearly an hour of 'Extreme Keep Away: Horse Addition'. After that the horses were fed their evening meal then brought into the stable for the night, excluding Virgil who stayed in the paddock. Remy and Emile went into the house with Thomas, Talyn and Joan leaving Virgil alone.

In case y'all were wondering, the object Remy has is a Starbucks dog plushy I found that seemed perfect for him.

Here's a picture of it