Auction

Peter doesn't know anyone, he is not Spider-Man. Tony and Rhodey are going on an undercover mission from SHIELD. Tony doesn't have a good friendship with the other Avengers - no civil war - they just don't live together or talk much apart from training or missions. 

***

"This is taking too long," Tony complained uneasily, his arms crossed over his expensive black suit. Beside him in the crowds was his childhood and best friend Rhodey who wore a similar suit and nodded in agreement. 

They sat down and waited for the bidding to start. SHIELD got a tip from someone that these auctions were illegally taking place for the rich and Tony managed to get an invite so he and Rhodes are undercover to shut it down. 

The first few items were pretty alright, artwork and footage. Then it moved onto things like weapons, stolen artefacts, serums from labs. They had enough to get the place taken over and shut down but had to wait until the auction was finished. 

"And lastly, our final prize!" The man on the stage announced. Finally, Tony thought with relief. I can get out of here. Out stepped guards who presented a boy. "This is a personal slave. He is genetically modified with a list of abilities and will respond to any name its master gives him. He is 15 and does anything that is demanded of him - almost emotionless. And I mean anything," he winked to the crowd. "Bidding starts at 2 mil," 

The numbers went up and up until Tony looked at the boy. He had a collar of spikes around his neck with what looked like a leash attached to it. The kid looked so emotionless and trapped. Tony put his card up. 

"8 million coming from the man with glasses!" the announcer shouted. "Going once, going twice ... Sold!" Rhodey glared at Tony who didn't mind the look. 

The bidding ended and the two men walked behind to see a man yanking the boy by the leash, leather bonds tieing his wrists together. The announcer walked towards them, Rhodey handed him the briefcase of money and Tony took the boy by the arm softly. They parted ways and made their way out of the building. Moments later it was stormed by SHIELD agents who retrieved and apprehended the bidding items and bidders. 

***

They went to the car and Tony opened the door for the kid to get him but he didn't move. "Kid? Are you going to get in?" Tony asked curiously. The boy looked up, confused by the question he was asked. Tony remembered what the man had said about the kid. Does anything that is demanded of him, he recalled. "Uh, get in the car?" He tried. The boy got into the car and Tony got into the other side. Rhodes went in the passenger seat and put the diver up. 

Tony put his belt on for the kid and did his own. "Here, show me your hands," Tony offered and watched the boy move them out shakily. He looked afraid of what Tony might do to him. Tony reached out and slowly undid the leather bonds, slipping them out from the boy's wrists. He watched the kid move his hands apart slowly, wincing a bit. "What's your name?" 

The boy looked up. "What would you like me to be called?" He said in a somewhat steady voice. It broke Tony's heart. 

"Do you not have a name?" The boy shook his head. "How's about ... Peter? Do you like that name?" 

"Do you want me to like it, sir?" 

Again, Tony did his best to not cry. "It's your choice, kid. I personally think you look like a Peter but I want to know if you want to be called that," 

The boy was silent for a few moments, hesitating. He looked up at Tony again and nodded. "I-I like the name. Thank you, sir," 

Tony leaned back into the car seat and sighed. One step at a time, he reminded himself. 

They arrived at the tower and got out of the car. Rhodes grabbed Tony by the arm when they got inside. "What were you thinking, Tones? Do you have any idea what you're going to do next? Did you even think this through?" 

Tony rolled his eyes. "I was thinking this kid shouldn't be sold off like property. And who knows what abilities he could have, did you want someone bad to be in control of him?" His friend didn't have an answer. 

"And what now?" 

Tony looked back at Peter who shuffled, watching Tony as though waiting to be given something to do. "Now, I'm going to take him to get that collar and any other bindings off and make sure he isn't hurt," 

Tony led the kid to his lab and had him sit down on a chair while Tony got out his tools. He went and touched the collar to see how to get it off and saw the boy wince. Tony managed to get the collar off and feels rage rise when he sees the bruise and scar around his neck from it. 

He checked the boy and made sure Peter had no other severe injuries. Peter had a broken rib and many bruises and cuts over his body, intensely malnourished and thin, dehydrated and lacking nutrients. The kid was very tired. Tony could see his eyes struggling to stay open and he lost focus a few times. 

"C'mon, Pete. Let's get you to bed," Tony decided after he had made sure the kid was alright for the time being. 

"Yes, sir," Peter agreed. 

Tony frowns. "You don't have to call me sir, kid. Just call me Tony," 

They walked as normal and Tony started making his way up the stairs that led to the penthouse floor. He went up a few steps and noticed Peter wasn't following. Tony turned around and saw Peter staring at the steps with an annoyed expression. Peter looks up at Tony with doe-like eyes. 

"What's wrong, Peter?" The kid points to the stairs and stares at them. "You can't get up the stairs?" 

"No," He explains, shaking his head shamefully. 

Tony suppressed a laugh. The kid looked really upset and Tony guilty had to admit it looked funny to be angry at the stairs. "Well, if you want to follow me you're going to have to climb the stairs, Peter," 

Peter looked unsure and didn't move, not clear on how to proceed. Tony starts walking up the stairs and waits in the lounge where he would be able to see the kid as soon as he makes it up the stairs. He didn't. 

Tony waited for about 10 minutes for the kid to figure it out but Peter didn't show. So, Tony headed towards the stairs and saw Peter curled into a ball at the bottom step asleep. He chuckled softly and went to the bottom of the stairs, kneeling beside Peter and realised he was fast asleep. Carefully, Tony picked him up bridal style and carried him up the stairs. He was alarmed of how light Peter was to carry but went to a spare room and set him down on the bed, pulling the blanket over the boy. He brushed the curls from the kid's face and left the room smiling. 

When he closed the door he saw Rhodey smirking. "What?" 

Rhodes just shrugged and crossed his arms. "You're such a dad."