c h a p t e r 1

tw: slurs

hannah

i threw my last sweatshirt into my suitcase and zipped it shut, wiping the tears from my eyes. my boyfriend, well, now ex-boyfriend, just kicked me out.

i start to roll my suitcase out of my now empty bedroom. my ex, robert, was standing in the doorway, with his arms crossed. he stops me.

"oh, hannah? um, i'm gonna need that back." he points to the key necklace that i'm wearing around my next. my heart drops.

he gave me that necklace for our one year. and he never uses my full name. he's called me "han" ever since we started dating.

"oh, um yeah, sure." i mumble, quickly undoing the latch and holding it out to him. "thanks." he snarls, snatching it out of my hand. robert then rips his lock necklace off of his neck in one swift movement, breaking the chain. he stuffs both necklaces into the pocket of his shorts.

i shake my head and push past him, as more tears threaten to fall down my cheeks. i roll my suitcase to the front door of our, well, his apartment. i turn around to look at him.

robert looks at me with zero emotion on his face. "god, i can't believe i dated a fucking dyke." he mumbles.

the reason that robert dumped me was because i came out as bisexual. when i told him, he flipped his shit and dumped me. he said that i 'would never like guys again' and that he was scared i would 'turn fully gay.' what an idiot. i finally strike up the courage to stand up for myself.

"i'm not a fucking lesbian, robbie. and i can't believe i dated such a homophobic piece of shit."

"get the fuck out of my house."

"this isn't a house, dumbass!" i snarl at him. i grab my suitcase and roll it out of the room. "HAVE A NICE FUCKING LIFE!" i scream at him, sobbing. i flip him off and slam the door. i storm down the hall to the elevator, and press the down button.

tears were now streaming down my cheeks uncontrollably as i choked back my sobs. i pulled out my phone and, shaking, called my best friend, avery. after two rings, she picked up.

"hey, babes! what's up?" her bubbly, cheerful voice exclaimed, causing me to sob more. avery quietly gasps. "oh shit, what happened?"
"r-robert h-happened." i sob. i walk out of the elevator, dragging my suitcase behind me.

"did you tell him?" avery asked. i nod, but then realize that she obviously can't see me. "y-yes." i stammer, pushing the door to the building open. the cool wind feels nice on my tear stained cheeks.

i start to walk down the sidewalk as i explain everything to her, the coming out, the fight, the necklace, everything. by now, i had slowed my breathing a bit and walked towards a bench outside of the building.

"where are you, love? i'm coming to pick you up, you're staying with me." avery demands.

i start to deny, feeling bad about bothering her, but then i remember that she's the only friend in L.A. that i have. "i-i'm on the bench right by my apar-his apartment." i correct myself. i sit down.

"i'm on my way. don't move." i hear her grab her keys. "i love you!" she hangs up before i can say anything else. i smile softly to myself, thankful that i have a best friend like her.

i pull out my earbuds from my pocket and plug them into my phone. i scroll through the long list of music i have and decide on "the scientist" by coldplay.

i take a deep breath and look around at the people around me, walking fast left and right. i wondered where they were going.

i look up at the cloudy sky and see darker clouds starting to form. in a matter of seconds, it starts to pour.

great. what typical break-up weather.

just as the song starts to end, i hear the wet tires of a car pull up on the side of the road. i pull out my earbuds.

avery slams the door and runs up to the bench i'm sitting at. just seeing her makes me start to cry again. she immediately pulls me into a hug. i sob uncontrollably into her shoulder.

we stay that way for awhile. just two best friends, hugging each other in the rain.

hey! i hope you liked the first official chapter to this book! :)

i've been having MAJOR writers block and anxiety but tonight i just said "fuck it i'm starting this book"

i hope you enjoyed! i love you guys so much. peace.

-j