chapter 2

Devyn

When Niki and I got inside, we were overwhelmed by how loud the music was. Currently, the song "Highest in the Room" by Travis Scott was blasting, which was not my forte. I'd always liked rap and hip hop songs, but it was annoying how frequently they'd get overplayed.

All of a sudden, Brooke, one of Niki's volleyball team mates approached us.

"Hey, Niki. You made it! Wanna join me and the rest of the girls while we drink and make Tiktoks?" She giddily inquired. "Oh, hey Devyn. Almost didn't see you there."

"Oh uh sure! Do you mind, Devin?" Niki asked.

"No. Go and have fun." I smiled at the both of them.

Internally, I wanted Niki's company due to the fact that 1, I wasn't a social butterfly, and 2, she technically dragged me here. Ugh. What was I supposed to do now?

I heard my stomach rumble so I walked around searching to see if there was anything I could nibble on. The intoxicating smell of alcohol filled my lungs, but I wasn't one to find pleasure in drinking. Considering the fact that USC was one of the most renown party schools in California, you'd probably think I'm weird.

In a lone setting, I spotted a bunch of sweets. There were brownies, cinnamon buns, trays of candy, and more. As I was about to grab a brownie, I felt a tap on my shoulder and quickly turned around. It was Kevin, and damn, he looked good. He was wearing a black Givenchy hoodie, concrete gray sweats, along with all white Balenciaga's.

"Devyn?" He said surprised.

"Oh, K-Kevin." I stammered. My heart was beating abruptly.

"So... um... what brings you here?" He questioned.

"Niki invited me." I stated. "Is there something wrong with my presence?"

"No, of course not." He said. "I'm just surprised you'd actually come knowing I'd be here. Especially in spite of everything that went on between us in the past."

"I'm over it." I said bluntly and stared down avoiding all eye contact with him.

"Well, I'm not." He stated. "I still love you and really miss you. A lot. I'm sorry. I know I've apologized like a thousand times, but I really mean it. Throughout our whole relationship, I never meant to hurt you. Hear me out, Devyn."

Is he actually being serious right now?

"I forgive you, Kevin. However, my feelings for you are gone. And I'm smart enough to not get back with a cheater." I said.

"I never intended to cheat on you. It was all an accident. If only you could just listen-" He said right before I cut him off.

"Wow. I'm the one who doesn't listen." I said sarcastically. "I've heard the story multiple times from you and I don't want to hear it again. I'm sorry, but I just cannot condone cheating in any way, shape, or form. I'd be cheating myself."

Kevin and I had dated for a span of 6 months during our junior year. We met in our public speaking class during junior year. On the first day of class, he arrived late and he sat next to me, solely because every other seat was taken. Our professor always encouraged us to talk to the person we sat next to so him and I would always make small talk which would spiral into real, deep conversations. Soon, we exchanged numbers. Then, he finally asked me out one day and I was ecstatic. After that, we were officially boyfriend and girlfriend.

Being his girlfriend was incredible, but all good things must come to an end, right? Well, at the time there was another girl who had eyes for him. Cassie, only of the cheerleaders. And yes, it was your typical short, blue-eyed blonde girl. Anyway, one night while I was looking through my friends snapchat stories, Kevin and Cassie were all up on each other at some party. Gosh, you had no idea how much my blood was boiling after I saw that. I immediately called Kevin and he gave me some sob story about how he was drunk and that Cassie led him on, but I wasn't having it at all.

"Ight. Point proven. I'm a jerk and what I did was wrong. I'm done trying to make things right with you." He said in an annoyed tone as he quickly walked away.

Ok, I'll admit. I kinda felt bad now. I called out his name a couple more times, but he ignored me.

Anyway, I finally took my brownie and some other sweets and found a nice vacant spot I could relax in. It was about a quarter to 9 and I was getting an awful lot tired, so I rested my eyes for a bit.

...

"Devyn, wake up." I heard a voice say as they rapidly shook me.

It was Niki. "Niki?" I said startled. "What time is it?"

She checked her phone. "1:02"

Damn. I was really knocked out. "1:02? We've gotta get going now." I said in urgency as I stood up.

"Dude, the party's still going on. Just wanted to check in on you." She laughed.

All of a sudden, some guy approached Niki. "Aye, I'm about to head out, but tonight was fun. Let me get your number, cutie." He sounded drunk. I could smell the lingering taste of vodka in his breath.

"Of course." Niki winked and said in a seductive voice as she took his phone and made herself a contact. She gave him his phone back and then the guy winked and walked away.

"What was that?" I asked in an intrigued tone.

"No one." She said mimicking my tone. "Ok, he's a guy I've kinda been dm'ing on Instagram. He's a lakers player, Kyle Kuzma. He's also good friends with Kevin."

That's right. Kevin did have a lot of connections with NBA players. There were probably a lot of them here. Not that I cared though.

"A lakers player, hm?" I said. "Well, go and get that bag sis."

"You know it." She smirked. "Anyway, you're right. We should get going."

Finally, we left the entrance and headed to her car and drove off.

When I got home, I immediately ran to my room to change into something more comfortable. I was absolutely exhausted. It was currently about 2 am and If you know me, I'm not much of a night owl.

I then said a quick little prayer, plopped on my bed, and closed my eyes hoping to fall into a deep sleep.

...

sorry for the long wait on this update. i know my writing sucks but like I said, I'm new to this. anyway, if you're liking my story, please vote and comment :)
- s