The Quasars Of Andromeda

Prologue

Prologue

Earth, by the mid twenty-third century had come to a place in its history that the planet's many diverse, recovering populations, finally free of autocratic governments and world war, understood at last the need to live with each other in understanding and peace. The cost to arrive at that realization was high indeed.

Minor conflicts still occasionally erupted around the globe over these dwindling national, racial, religious, ideological and political divisions that frequently were regional warfare involving distant nations protecting their interests. These were remnants of the two Wars Of The Peace; horrific world wars during the mid-twenty-first and later twenty-second centuries that each time nearly destroyed the planet, reducing the world's population by over two and a half billion during the first conflict, and just over one billion during the second. They were ironically named so because world peace was assumed a must after each. They both started from nationalistic, religious wars in the Near East, then Middle East, that escalated to global conflicts with the unfortunate use of modern, mass exterminating weapons, decimating the world's populations, and severely regressing technological advancements for many decades afterwards.

Despite these terrible wars, as a whole the societies of Earth had matured greatly. A climate of acceptance of other's beliefs, and the rejection of all radical and destructive elements within them grew to dominate the globe, especially after seeing the effects of the infamous and misguided leaders that used their own peoples' beliefs and their own agendas to further their aggressive courses during the previous two world wars.

By the beginning of the twenty-third century a universal economic system that combined minimum quality living standards for all people and a responsible free enterprise system acceptable to all nations was adopted universally, effectively ending poverty and giving hope to billions who once had none. Remarkable agricultural and medical advances and extremely successful radiation fallout abatement technology that healed the Earth from the two war's fallout had also lengthened average life spans substantially.

Population stresses were relieved through the very successful moon and even larger Mars colonies that had grown to nearly two billion colonists by the year 2465. Yet complete paeace had still not been achieved. But once the realization that they were not alone, indeed vulnerable to outside domination in the Milky Way was revealed, the truth became clear to everyone.