26

A single bet, anxious breaths ○
○ Turning over the rouge ○

"You're not usually nervous I know it's something. What's wrong?" she asked as she looked at the guard who was hyperventilating in the meeting room where they had their first meeting as a team since the head guard recovered. But there was something bothering his mind.

Now, it was after the meeting that he was alone in the room, completely nervous about a particular subject to which he didn't want to reveal to anyone at all. The Queen was just passing by the room when she saw him, immediately going to his side to comfort him and find out whatever was in his mind.

"It's nothing" he said for the fifth time that hour and she sighed. "Fan ChengCheng, I know you. You have been the head guard since forever and quite actually one I'm closest to. I know that you're not one to hyperventilate or be anxious or even be nervous. I know it's not nothing, I know it's something. Just tell me what it is, I might be able to help you" she reassured him, going against his words.

It was true, the guard has been by the Queen's side since maybe a year or 2 after she became the Queen of the Chun Kingdom. She was never one to talk to people and actually get along with them but she was somehow able to connect with the guard.

He was just a broken boy at the time, knowing nothing but wanting revenge or at least be away from his abusive father. She was the one who was actually able to distract him from his pain and train him to be the best guard she has ever seen.

He grew to be a cold man but never one to let his guard down and fail to protect his loved ones. That was one of the reasons she made him head guard. This man right now wasn't the ChengCheng she knew, it was the ChengCheng before that.

The man before her wasn't who she had helped. He was just a broken boy, not being himself anymore and going back to how he had been. "Seriously, I know something's up with you. Or at least someone you love and are close with, the agent, perhaps?" she said.

That was it, that was what made the male take in a sharp breath and let out a shaky one. "It is her, isn't it?" she said and he hesitantly nodded. "What's wrong with her this time?" she asked and he shook his head.

"It's not her, it's me" he said and she looked confused at his words. What could he possibly mean by that? "I would tell you but I can't" he said. "What could possibly be wrong between you and the agent that you can't even tell me what it is?" she asked in curiosity and confusion.

"You see..."

---

"What's wrong this time?" Yanjun asked as he crossed his arms and looked at the woman with a brow raised up. "It's nothing actually-" "Yeah, no I don't think you called me here for nothing" he cut her off and she sighed. "You know what month this is?" she asked and he stared at her in confusion.

"It's May?" he sounded confused at the sudden question. "Exactly. Our birthday is coming up and I have no idea on what to give him" she said and he laughed at his friend's misery. "Too bad" he chuckled.

"Help me come up with an idea" she said and he seemed to be thinking for a while before whispering to her what he thought of. She gasped at the idea but soon glared at him and smacked him on the arm. "No, there's no way I'm doing that. Besides, he's not that kind of guy" she said and he chuckled.

"Then do you know what he has been wanting the most?" he suddenly asked and she nodded. "So give that to him, what's the big deal?" he asked, furrowing his eyebrows at the simple thought he thought the agent didn't think of. "You're saying that I should give him a shotgun for his birthday?" she asked and he fell silent.

"Well-" "That's it! I can get him a shotgun and make another one for myself. Then we'll have matching guns" she said, excited. "What?" Yanjun asked as he saw the drastic change in expression. "Thanks for making me realize that I could've just given him a gun and it'll all be fine" she giggled and he was dumbfounded.

"You're giving a shotgun for your lover on his birthday?" he asked and she rapidly nodded. "Okay, I was not expecting this" he said and she chuckled. "I'm an agent, he's a guard, the both of us use guns. It's just that now, the guns are different and more meaningful" she said.

"Now, where do you propose we make these weapons at?" he asked and she seemed to be thinking for a moment before having a brilliant idea. "I'm making them on my own" she said and he widened his eyes. "You can do that? But what about the materials and machines and everything? Do you even have those?" he asked.

"For one, I can ask his sister to help me get the materials and machines. And besides, I can do it in the abandoned building I dragged you to when I first met you, remember?" she said and he nodded. "How did I even end up working with you?" he whispered to himself but it didn't go unheard to the agent.

Honestly, she didn't even know why he was working with her or why she didn't kill him when she had the chance to that night. Albeit, he was probably the first person who tried to kill her that she didn't eliminate. It was ironic to say if she said that she had a feeling that he would be useful to her assistance.

But it was true, she felt like he could somehow be trusted. Now, she didn't know how she could trust someone who tried to kill her, heck, she couldn't even trust the parents who took her in. But after hearing his reasons and seeing his motives, she knew that she could trust him.

"You tried to kill me, now you're going to help me instead"

Late updates, I know. It's just the online classes and all. Stay safe, everyone

Love y'all

-Clai