Chapter Twenty Three [Edited]

Start from the beginning

They had a system, and it was insanely effective. I was almost jealous.

On other notes, it was my mother’s birthday this past Wednesday, the 20th, though I couldn’t get off work to spend time with her. She didn’t seem to mind, though, as she and Gabe were leaving for yet another trip this weekend. Their trip to Singapore was a great success, and they were going to the Philippines this time, or at least that’s what they had decided as of a month ago. They tended to change their plans last-minute. Both of them were a bit indecisive and impulsive sometimes.

My parents had saved up a lot in the past years, and they were finally spending it all. Gabe was working part time, but he managed to work full weeks while at home and only worked a few hours on the weeks he was vacationing. It evened out so the office didn’t mind his crazy lawyer manipulations. My mother’s charities were going well. She had donated a lot of her time to them, and she was reaping the rewards of the knowledge that she was making a difference.

“I just love working with the kids,” she had once told me. “I feel like I’m actually making a difference on their future. You know, I had to work a lot when your father died, but even then the social work made me feel like I was helping someone. Now I can help not just one or two kids as well as my daughter, but I can make an impact on hundreds. I feel like I personally know each and every one of these children, and it’s a beautiful thing.”

I didn’t quite understand the drive for doing social work and committing all of your time to charity, but I personally thought my mom found a sort of comfort in knowing she was needed in those communities. I didn’t say anything to her, though: there was no point in asking. I didn’t want to be analyzing her personality or anything.

The kettle whistled, snapping me out of my revere. I rushed into the kitchen, turning off the stove. I made a cup of tea and then checked on the lasagna for Olivia’s potluck, which was tomorrow.

“Hello Anaya!” Olivia said cheerily as I walked into the apartment.

“Happy birthday, Olivia!” I responded enthusiastically.

“Thanks! How have you been?”

“I’m doing well, thanks. You?”

“Everything is going great. Have you met my boyfriend?” Olivia asked, handing me a cup of water, knowing my drink preference. I accepted it from her, nodding my thanks.

“No, I don’t believe so. I didn’t realize you had a serious partner.”

“We’re just casually dating, though, not quite as serious as the term boyfriend implied,” Olivia clarified with happiness in her eyes.

“Oh, okay. So who’s the lucky guy?”

“See the guy over there with blonde hair and the dark shirt?”

“Yeah.”

“That’s him! Isn’t he hot?” She squealed.

I laughed at her excitement. “He’s lucky to have you. He better treat you right,” I warned.

“Don’t worry,” Olivia groaned. “Margaret’s already given him the best friend speech.”

“Okay, good.”

“Besides, it’s just sex. There’s not really a huge emotional attachment to it,” Olivia stated airily as I took a sip of water. Olivia’s eyes twinkled with mischief.

I choked on my water, coughing at her bluntness. “Whatever works for you,” I responded when I caught my breath.

“Well, I’d better go socialize. Talk to you later!” She said, floating off to go talk to some more people.  I ventured out into the crowd, hanging out with Margaret and some other friends of hers and Olivia’s. We all enjoyed the company and delicious food. We made Olivia blow out a bunch of candles on her cake, just for the heck of it, making her blush at all of the drama.

“It’s not a big deal!” She protested when we brought the candles out, but she acceded to our badgering.

The night grew old as we all sat and talked to each other, telling stories. Many of them I didn’t know as I didn’t know Olivia all that well, but they were funny and entertaining. Olivia seemed to enjoy herself, having a glass of wine and sitting with her boyfriend. It was a really nice get together, even though I felt a bit out of place. Olivia was more of Margaret’s friend than mine, but we got along well in the times we had met each other.

“It’s getting late. I’d better be getting back,” I said, standing up around midnight.

“Oh, boo you,” Olivia said, pouting a little. Her boyfriend noticed and gave her a quick kiss on the mouth, literally kissing the pout away. Margaret and I laughed as a couple of Olivia’s friends cat-called them.

“I’ll see you later,” I waved goodbye as I left the apartment.

I got home and sat on the sofa, kicking my feet up as I put on a television show. Some characters from NCIS raced around the screen, chasing after a criminal. The lights flashed across my face, but for once, I wasn’t completely satisfied with being home alone.

For the first time in my life, I started to think about having a house and starting a family. I imagined having a cute countryside house, like those village cottages that are the epitome of cuteness. I grew up in a big house with lots of room and space outside, but it felt lonely a lot. I didn’t want that feeling in my own home. I wanted a house with a nice backyard. Maybe a swing set or slide or tree house. I wanted kids to play in the backyard, though I didn’t want to have to go through childbirth. That was too painful for me.

I can just adopt kids,’ I decided.

I could see myself with three or four kids, an older one pushing himself on a swing set. I could see myself barefoot, pushing a younger girl on another swing. I could see Daniel holding a baby, feeding it from a bottle.

Is this my future?’ I wondered. ‘Could this be my future?’