Chapter Seven [Edited]

“Anayaaaa!” A very energetic Shelly banged on my door, nearly knocking me over when I opened the door as she barreled into the apartment.

“Ready to go to the yoga class?”

“I thought it was a meditation class,” I responded, grabbing my coat and putting on my shoes.

“Well, yes, but it’s a bit of both. Anyways, come on!! We’re going to be late,” she said, pulling me out of the door and barely giving me a chance to lock it as she tugged me down the stairs.

We got into her car and she flew off, making me grip the sides of my seat.

“Can you go any faster?” I muttered.

“Yup!” Shelly responded cheerfully, tapping the gas pedal a little bit. I glared in response.

“How are you so hyper?” I questioned.

“I haven’t been to the class in three weeks. You were busy last week, and I the week before. Now I have a yoga buddy! This will be great!”

“You know, if I remember correctly, I was the one doing yoga freshman year of college, and you thought I was crazy…” I responded with an eye roll.

“Oh, hush. That was like ten years ago! Times change,” Shelly defended her precious yoga.

“Sure, sure,” I said mockingly.

We reached our destination, a large building with lots of windows. I could see the gym’s equipment through the windows, and it certainly seemed to have a lot of high-end stuff. Sheila parked the car, and I got out of the car and nearly kissed the ground.

“Sweet ground. Ah, the beautiful air of the world. Dear God, thank you for allowing me to survive this trip with Shelly-” my prayers were cut short by Shelly whacking me on the back of the head.

“Sheila!” I said in mock horror.

“Oh, shush. You’re not even religious!” she protested.

We walked into the building. Shelly signed us in under her gym membership and we walked into the class.

“Right on time,” the instructor said cheerily. “Welcome ladies. Sheila, correct?”

“Yes, and this is my friend Anaya. She’s new,” Shelly responded, introducing me.

“Pleasure to meet you,” she said, shaking my hand. “Our yoga mats are in the corner. Did Sheila tell you what we do during the class?”

“No, actually,” I responded, making her laugh.

“Doesn’t surprise me. Basically, we will spend about forty five minutes doing yoga. We will take a ten minute break and have light refreshments and water. Then, we will spend twenty minutes doing meditation. It will take about an hour and fifteen minutes in total,” she explained.

“Sounds good,” I said, smiling at her.

“You can go put your stuff in the locker room and change if you need.”

Sheila and I walked to the locker room and grabbed lockers to put our change of clothes in. I took off my coat and hat, and we both returned to the room.

“Okay everyone, we will start soon,” the instructor announced.

I surveyed the room and noted that although it was female dominated, there were a surprising amount of men. I had expected a lot of new moms in great shape, but the group was a surprisingly nice mix of people from all backgrounds. The group started getting in place, so we followed suit. Sheila and I grabbed some yoga mats and moved towards the back of the room.