Chapter 4

When I wake up the next morning, the clock reads 6:14 a.m. I get out of bed right away. I put on a pair of sweats and a t-shirt before walking downstairs as quietly as possible. Zach will need to know that I'm back, and I don't know if Mom will let me leave today.

I walk to Zach's house, getting there around 7:20 am. Once I arrive at his house, I knock on the door. I am risking it by coming so early, but there really wasn't a way around it.

I wait for 10 minutes which turns to 15, then I hear a faint set of footsteps walk through the house to the door. The door creaks open.

"Eva?" Zach's cousin who sometimes stays at his house says in question. "What are you doing here? I thought you were on vacation."

"I was, but it was shortened," I reply.

"Well, Zach is still asleep, but I could go wake him up if you'd like."

"I can just go up," I say. "Thanks though."

I walk up the wooden stairs to Zach's bedroom. I know that waking him up will disappoint him either way, but I have to get home as quickly as possible.

I knock on the door before opening it. Zach is sleeping, his blankets on the floor, and he is wearing a sweatshirt and sweats. I wonder why; it's really hot out. I sit on the bed.

"Good morning, Zach," I say.

He slowly opens his eyes and turns to look at me. The anger in his eyes turns to confusion, then back to anger.

"What are you doing here?" he asks, a sharp tone in his voice.

"I got home yesterday," I reply.

He nods, probably unsure of what to do. "Are you busy today?" he asks.

"Well, my mom is kind of mad, so I have to get home soon."

"Okay then, see you," he says, "but next time won't be so easy."

His tone of voice scares me to the core, but I act is if everything is fine and leave his room, racing back home. No one else is awake yet, but I know that Mom will probably wake up in the next 10 minutes so I hurry to my bedroom and sit on my bed, waiting until the good time to pretend to wake up.

---

"We have a week before we're going to leave," Nick says.

I sigh. Of course they're still going to leave me with the Brat.

"So, today we're going out as a family," Mom says.

No surprise there. A random family outing to show the world that our family is fine, even when it isn't.

"Yay! Can we go to Disney?" the Brat asks, looking up at Nick and Mom with her puppy dog eyes. It's how she gets what she wants every time.

"Of course," Nick says. "Are you alright with that, Eva?"

I nod even though I'd rather just stay home and do whatever I want without them.

The four of us pile into Nick's car. Nick and Mom in the front, and the Brat and I in the back. I didn't want this arrangement, and I don't think that she does either, but we don't really have a choice.

Disney is quite full since it's summer, which means it's tourist season. Sure, Disney is alright, but not when it's stuffed full of sweaty people until it becomes like a can of sardines and the sun is beating down on your shoulders until you feel like a bright red tomato.

"Where to first?" Nick asks.

"Splash Mountain!" the Brat yells excitedly. I used to actually enjoy Splash Mountain, but now it's turned into torture since it's the longest line and it is her favorite and we go on it practically between every other ride.

Naturally, we all end up walking towards Splash Mountain.

Then I see them. The paparazzi are sometimes well disguised, but today I can see them coming toward us in waves. It's too late for a warning and soon we are swarmed.

Welcome to a Hollywood life.