You shiver at the coldness in Dazai's voice as he speaks towards his old subordinate, looking past him to avoid catching the demanding look in his golden-brown eyes.

In a matter of seconds, Akutagawa lets go of you with obvious reluctance, watching you walk away with Dazai with bitter discontent. You don't look back, though you promise him silently that you'll figure everything out, and that you'll come back to him.

Walking with haste through the halls of the Port Mafia, you don't meet Dazai's glances as you both make your way down to the front entrance, a few mafia officials watching cautiously. After some long minutes, you hear Dazai speak next to you, internally irking you.

"Did I not say it would pass?"

"Shut up."

"So little respect for me recently...ah, what have I done to you?" He complains dramatically, resting a hand on your shoulder, tilting his head with a pout.

You push his hand off of you, rolling your eyes at his attitude, pausing just in front of the door before answering.

"You belittle all my pain and then make it ok by being there for me, except you weren't there when I actually needed it and you pretend I can just walk around pretending not to care. I'm human, Dazai. I don't need another telling me I'm less because I can't hide it as well."

Taken aback by your response, Dazai frowns as he watches you walk out the door, following behind you a few seconds after properly processing your words. Once you both are outside, you find a car there for you and see the blonde hair of Kunikida as he waits patiently, motioning you both to hurry up as soon as he sees you, clearly a little tired. You and Dazai walk into the car, him riding shotgun and you at the back, head leaned on the car window as you watch the Port Mafia building grow further and further as the car drives you away, the early evening sun sprinkling its sun rays all over your face as you tune out Dazai and Kunikida's low, conversational voices, allowing yourself to get lost in your own thoughts.

•••

"Akutagawa?"

"What."

"If I were in trouble, would you come after me?"

"We are about to go on a mission. Are you that scared?"

"I'm not scared. I was simply curious how far our partnership goes."

"Fear death, fear slaughter. Remember that those who desire death have an equal desire to die."

"Answer my question."

"This was a forced partnership by the boss himself."

"Exactly. So...would you look for me should I go missing?"

"...it would be my job to regardless."

"Is that a yes?"

"For some reason, I think that wherever we are, the other isn't too far behind."

•••

Kunikida stops the car in front of a bundle of houses in which you know one of them is Atsushi's, and though your first thought is too question why they hadn't stopped at the agency office or found you your own flat to stay in, you realize that this stop had been specifically requested by the weretiger himself as he waves at you in front of his home, a relieved expression in his sun filled yellow-purple eyes. Stepping out of the car, you walk towards Atsushi, greeted by a warm hug by him, squeezing you as he whispers how glad he was that you were ok.