•20

Did Akutagawa know?

That's the only thought that runs through your head as soon as the words left Kunikida's mouth.

Did Akutagawa know yesterday when he saw me that Q was missing?

"Do they...have any idea where he is?" You ask, trying your best not to give off so much panic so they wouldn't ask you why.

Kunikida shakes his head. "No, they don't. But we are meant to send detectives to go look for him. He's an ability user, so it's on us to keep it under control...and since he's mafia...the Port Mafia can't risk looking out of control..."

Q is hurt by so many people...he'll lash out to anyone as long as he gains from it...even if it's just entertainment. I know that first hand.

I was stupid enough to allow this to happen.

You look around the office, searching for one specific person.

"Where's Ranpo?" You ask, confused as to why they hadn't solved it with his supposed ultra deduction. You remember him saying he was the greatest detective in the world when you had just woken up from your coma.

"Oh, he said he wouldn't help until he had gotten his snacks. Said it was our problem in the first place...specifically yours" Junichiro answers you as he walks by, handing Kunikida some folders before walking to his sister's desk.

You cringe at his comment, and suddenly you feel weight on your shoulder and see Dazai leaning over with a cheerful smile.

"[f/n]! So glad you're finally here. Looks like it's our turn to team up again! Ha, it's always so interesting when you're involved"

You're the reason Q is so violent.

"Why are we working together?" You ask Dazai, trying your best not to sound rude for wondering why you two were the best match for this.

"Well" Dazai pauses dramatically, and you catch a different intensity in his pretty brown eyes, "we were at the center of the problem last time, so it's only natural we are the ones responsible now"

"But that was weeks ago" you protest, now curious as to why this was an issue now.

"Yeah it took the Port Mafia a while to lower their pride. I think they decided now that they didn't want to be held responsible if Q uses his powers on a larger scale" Dazai shrugs, taking his beige trench coat from the hanger and putting it on almost gracefully, his chocolate brown hair bouncing too nicely around his face.

"Come on, [f/n]! We shouldn't waste time"

•••

You couldn't decide if you liked working with Dazai, or if you were just used to it.

Currently, you were leaning to the latter.

Dazai was driving around the specific parts of Yokohama for any sign of Q or his curse, and you thought it was a good idea until Dazai almost ran over a few people and kept turning corners like a true suicidal maniac.

At this rate, we'll kill Q with the car before finding him.

"[f/n]"

Dazai says with so much sternness you perked up, alert for what you hoped was a sign of Q.

"How's Akutagawa?"

Your heart skips a beat, your whole body going on the defensive.

"What are you talking about?"

"Well, if my predictions are right, you saw him last night didn't you? You seem calmer than usual...which leads me to believe you've been able to talk to him again. Or realize what happened with Q isn't completely your fault"

"I guess, but-DAZAI TURN!" You frantically reach over the brunette and force the wheel to do a sharp turn that miraculously makes it, then secure his hands on the steering wheel properly.

Dazai chuckles and keeps his eyes on the road, a smile playing on his lips.

"You know, I wouldn't mind if you used me for a distraction instead of going to a bar" he hums, fully aware of your face heating up and knowing you'd hit his side after the comment.

"Hey, don't hurt the driver if you don't want to crash!" Dazai jokes, but you role your eyes and mutter in response that if that happened it would be Dazai's fault for probably driving off the port and calling it a refreshment.

Only a few minutes later, Dazai abruptly stops the car, eyes narrowing as he watches a specific building that leads to a train station. You sit silently and wait for Dazai to give you instructions.

He may be annoying but Dazai always pulls through.

"Ok, [f/n], listen carefully"

•••

Hair tied down, you purchase a train ticket and follow the signs to the station where the train would be that Dazai had instructed you to specifically take. He had assured you that he'd meet up with you soon and to not worry, that if you followed what he had said, everything would be fine.

Despite his distrust, Q likes to be around people...but if I run into him here before Dazai shows up...

Q's cursed ability could hurt so many people confined here.

"What are you thinking about?"

You jump in surprise and turn to see Q sitting next to you, legs swinging back and forth like any child would and smiling up at you, his odd eyes not betraying any malice in them.

There something missing...

Then it hit you.

"Q...Where's your doll?"

"Oh, I left her on the cart before me"

That's when the train starts to shake and you hear the screams from the other train cart, followed by loud bangs.

"You're always working with Dazai...you said you weren't like him. Oh well, have fun with your new friends!" Q laughs, getting up and walking away, leaving you deciding where to follow first.

Dazai...you said this would be easy!

I need help.