•3

In a Grove.

That was the name of your ability. 1 week after the agency had brought you to the office, you were now finally allowed to participate in activity after being under close watch of Yosano during the week. So far, you had been able to re-grasp what your ability did and how it worked with the help of Dazai and Kunikida.

From what you were able to test out, your ability was a sort of mind manipulation type, where when you ask a question and they answer, not necessarily having to be anything that made sense or an actual response, you could distort their memories while all they'll be able to see around them is a grove with one tree larger than the rest, rope and leaves laying around it. Ultimately, the person becomes a puppet to your actions, however up until now you hadn't been able to figure out how exactly to use it all.

Other than your ability, during the week Yosano encouraged you to take it slow for a while before getting back into the action to try to start up your memories. You listened only because Yosano had turned out to be much better company than you thought, and even Dazai would stop by to keep you company when he got lazy with work. There were also times when you'd see a young girl walk by and look at you oddly, and you found out later that that was Kyouka, who was pretty close with Atsushi apparently.

Once the week of rest was over, Atsushi was the first to volunteer to take you out on a mission, deciding it was best for you to accompany him on a simple job near the port he had gotten, since it was an area you often visited on your free time before the accident. Kyouka insisted on going as well, to which Atsushi happily agreed, and soon the 3 of you walked in a comfortable silence towards your destination.

The job was easy, as Atsushi had said. You were supposed to find more information on some disturbances near the boats at the Yokohama port and turn it over to the police. Kyouka has said it was child's play compared to what the agency has been through, but something felt off to you. It wasn't necessarily the job...no, that had seemed clean, no foul play.

Everything is so quiet...but it shouldn't be, should it?

I still don't know how I ended up like this...

You trail away from the other 2, walking towards the edge of the pier, taking in your surroundings. The sun was golden, descending into the sea, it's rays landing softly against your exposed skin. It had been a long time since you'd felt it all.

If you closed your eyes, you could hear the soft movement of the colliding waters, and if you concentrated on the sounds around you, you smiled knowing they wouldn't fade like they had weeks ago...

•••

"[f/n]!"

The voice of a young female calls out to you, filled with alarm. You turn around to see Kyouka take hold of your hand, pulling you so you wouldn't keep walking away. Her blue eyes were filled with anger, tears on the brink of falling. She wasn't one to show much emotion, but she had always trusted you. You were like an older sister to her.

"You can't go. Neither want you there to watch." She spoke with a fierce determination, prepared to give it her all to convince you to stay.

"They'll kill each other. He'll kill him." You respond, your tone just as stubborn as hers.

"You'll get hurt. I don't want that to happen to you."

"Kyouka. It's part of the job, you know that I-"

"You'll get hurt by him."