.CHAPTER THIRTY ONE.

the truth comes out
~[|]~

"I'm sorry." Gerard said softly to Linda once Frank had said goodnight and packed all of their stuff in his car. Which was where he was currently waiting, and probably fermenting in his own anger.

"I didn't mean for that to happen, I should've just—"

"No, honey, don't apologise." Linda said sympathetically, rubbing Gerard's forearm in a calm manner. "Fredrick should be sorry, and I'm sure he is with the way his nose looks."

Gerard didn't want to agree with her, because it was his fault, on a multitude of levels, not Fred's, or Frank's or Eddie's. It was his own. But for the sake of not making a fool of himself he stayed quiet.

He nodded anyway, trying to smile so he could seem just a tad happier than he was.

She smiled weakly before pulling him in for another tight hug, "It was so great meeting you, Gerard. Feel free to pop by any time you want."

Gerard smiled a little for real that time, feeling his stomach tingle with pride.

"Um, I'm sorry you two didn't get to eat much, here I'll pack a little something for the road." She said quickly pulling back from the hug and rushing off into the kitchen.

Gerard stood there awkwardly in front of everyone who was had stopped eating to look at him.

"It was really nice meeting you all." He said softly with an awkward wave. They all responded with a polite expressions and Gerard went to follow Linda into the kitchen when Eddie stood up from his chair.

"Can I actually speak to you for just a second?" He said, a few strands of his brown hair falling over his eyes.

Gerard nodded and walked with Eddie to the living room for privacy.

"Uh, I don't exactly know what happened with you and Fred, and I'm completely fine not knowing, but.. I'm sorry about the things he said. You don't deserve to hear any of it though, we all loved you." He grinned, and Gerard went to utter a thank you when Eddie pulled him into a tight hug.

When they pulled back Gerard had a small smile again, his eyes glazing over with tears, not really from sadness but actually quite the opposite. He was so happy to hear Eddie say that, because really that's all he had wanted out of this trip, to impress Frank's family.

"Thank you.." Gerard whispered, not caring about the fact that he was probably coming across like a crybaby.

"No thank you, I'm so glad to see Frankenstein so happy." He laughed, "But um, I'm sure he's a little angry right now so on his behalf I'd like to say sorry."

Gerard chuckled, "It's okay."

"Cool," Eddie grinned, "You two better come 'round here again, or else tell Frank imma kick his ass."

Gerard nodded with another laugh, Eddie nodded back before heading back into the dining room.

And soon Gerard was accepting the leftovers Linda was giving them, and heading out the door to Frank's car.

He could see Frank putting his head on the steering wheel as he got into the car.

"Um, your mom left you some food." He said softly, seeing as Frank looked more than exhausted and upset. He didn't want to startle him.