"He'll speak,'' I breathed into his ear as he tilted his head back, hair brushing against my cheek, a low, feral breath curling out of him. "I will make him.''

A heartbeat passed without him moving an inch, then another until he finally pulled himself up, claws slowly shrinking back, the powers swirling around us slipping back into him.

Ha-ámej remained on the floor, not a twitch of a finger to suggest he was still there. But his fog still swayed, still wrapped around him as I crouched, my fingers digging into his temples, old, dead skin piling beneath my fingernails.

A harrowing and sharp scream filled everything—air and muscles and bones—as I dove into his mind. The fog, his own body…he quivered so well I would have been fooled that the powers that snaked out of me truly ruined him. Bones trembled, magic wavered as I poured more into him, as I roamed around the towers he had for defense. Mighty. Impenetrable. Unending.

Dearcious had been looking for many answers: the details needed to awaken Apocalys, the torc that now lay with me, and many forgotten secrets lost to time. And I knew I couldn't give them to him, knew I couldn't scheme far and hard enough to get ourselves out of this.

"His mental shields are high.'' A hiss. ''Unscratched.'' A growl. More magic went within him, coursing in his dried capillaries. I couldn't tell if the arching of his back was real or if he was still playing along.

I turned my attention to the king, leaning, waiting. Powers throbbed beneath my skin, pouring out, not objecting, not rebelling, as though unbothered with those ancient, dormant strengths hidden deep in Ha-ámej's soul. His presence never truly alarmed me, actually.

"It will take a few days to crack them.''

Another scream.

I rose, leaving a withering, shaking man sprawled on the floor.

"It is quite a long time for someone so weakened.''

I merely blinked, unbothered as I scrapped my nails, the dead skin falling like cinders, sticking to my clothes and boots. "He is a mind, not a body.'' A long shared glance. ''He guards his walls well.'' I stared over my shoulder, sparing the Unknown Prince one last glance before I stepped out of his cell, eyes meeting Dearcious's, unwavering. "Keeps them changing in shape.''

The bars reformed the moment I stepped out of the cramped prison, their iridescence casting a thin, feeble light that brushed over Blake's features. He almost didn't look like himself, here in the pitch dark.

I didn’t blink as he grabbed me by the arm, a firm, clear hold to keep me in place.

"You will get through him.'' Not a question but a damn order.

I let my stares linger on the hand he had on me, slowly going up, until I found his face, his black eyes. And laughed. It was enough response as my voice echoed between us, and yet I still added, "I have brought armies down with my mind.'' I stepped closer, killing the distance between us, head tilting higher. I breathed out of my mouth. "I conquered cities with nothing more than thoughts.'' Closer. ''Don't you dare underestimate what I can do. You, out of all, have seen how ugly it gets to those who do.''

Not even his grasp held as I took another step, walking to the unfurling gate he'd created. He remained silent as he moved along, silent and utterly clueless to what was happening, to the words Ha-ámej slipped into my consciousness.

'Come for me.' The darkness built up around us. 'I shall come for you.'

The magic sealed, half a heartbeat of sheer, cold emptiness before I felt the brush of icy breezes against my skin.