I brushed past many unfamiliar faces. I was shorter than most people, so I quickly found the need to stand on the tips of my toes to find someone I did recognise.

Before I realised, my eyes searched through the mounds of individuals, searching for a familiar face – his face.

From next to me, a loud yell thundered from the clown next to me. I took a deep breath and held it. I had forgotten just how much I despised parties. I missed the intimacy of my small apartment. I missed the peace and quiet, most of all. The blurring beat made it hard to hear anything and, if it was even remotely possible, I could swear it affected my eyesight.

As I continued to make my way through, a tall figure ran into me, knocking my shoulder and my feet off balance. I closed my eyes, thinking I would fall backward, but when I didn't, I slowly looked up to see who had caught me.

"Emma!' Peter yelled over the loud voices in the background. "How are you? You look great!"

It took a second for Peter to let go of his hold on my arm.

"I'm good! And thank you!" I yelled back. "I'm trying to find William!"

"I haven't seen him." He shrugged. "Who did you come as?"

"I have no idea!" I smiled, only then noticing his costume. He was wrapped in a white fabric that reached over one shoulder and exposed the other. He was well built and tanned. A brown belt hugged his torso, keeping the tunic in place. Atop his head sat a gold leaf crown that tangled with the tips of his hair. His mouth quirked up in a smile. "You look great, too!"

"Thanks! I've always wanted to dress up as an ancient Greek!" His breath fanned across my cheek, heavy and smelling of alcohol.

I gave him an enthusiastic thumbs up and laughed, only then noticing his brown leather sandals. He really went all out.

"Do you want to dance?" He asked, sipping from his cup, never taking his eyes off mine.

I shouldn't, I thought.

"No, thanks! I think I might keep searching for my friends!"

I didn't move immediately, trapped under Peter's watchful gaze.

"Are you sure I can't steal you for a dance?" He took a step forward in my direction, so we stood less than an arm's length away. "It'll be quick!"

I must have looked unsure because he asked, "What's stopping you? A boyfriend?" He joked.

Yes.

"No." I took my lower lip between my teeth. Could one dance be so terrible? Aiden wasn't there to dance with me or to keep me company. He had stood me up without the decency of calling. I was tired of being rejected every time I tried to reach out. "Okay, one dance!"

Peter's smile turned into a wide grin as he finished his drink and smacked the cup down on a table nearby. He took my hand and guided us to the centre of the room. People all around us ground on one another, bodies flushed and close. Peter didn't hold me like that. His touch was gentle and loose, careful not to cross whatever line we'd established in previous conversations.

His hand sat at the centre of my back. He tilted his head down and took my other hand in his. He was already sweating. An exciting thrill shot through my spine when he twirled me around in a full circle with speed. All my limbs buzzed to the music, feeling the rush to move. I caught Peter laughing, and more people began closing in on us. Soon, bodies grazed me everywhere. Lights went out, and bright, colourful ones replaced them. Peter was suddenly much closer, his fingers sliding down my waist intimately. There wasn't an inch of space to move freely, but that didn't seem to deter me the way I thought it would.