Chapter 3. Strange

It's been 3 weeks since we moved in. Everything's finally in its place, and Mom's finally stopped mourning our old home and fallen completely in love with the new one. Sleeping here was more peaceful too. The sound of the water where I used to sleep calmed me, but now the wind in the tree's here made things even more zen. More purposeful. I always left my window open slightly to let the air get in and around into my lungs as I slept. It made me feel more alive.

I bought paint for my room and glossed and varnished the trimming. The windows now matching the white exterior outside. My book collection was growing, so tomorrow I was going to take some of the books I'd fallen out of love with to the library to donate them. My pictures were hung up, so were the fairy lights, the rug was laid out, my closet was full but I needed more winter attire to deal with the weather in the town. It was a simplistic but cosy room. Just how I liked it.

The town was everything you think it would be and more. Everybody knew everybody, and everything was so close in range. Other than running to the grocery store for food and toiletries, we really didn't have anytime getting to know anybody in town or spending much time there. The house needed lots done to it. And we didn't want to do a half-assed job at moving in when it came to our new home. We wanted it finished so we could just start living.

Dad started his new job tomorrow. The reason we all moved here. They needed more police officers in the Forks area and since there was nowhere in the East Coast where we originally looked, Dad and Mom decided Forks would be the perfect place to settle for a while. And my Mom's an artist, she teaches, does workshop classes and is fascinated with Native American art and history. And since the Quileute Reservation wasn't far, she saw no issue with moving to Forks. And we didn't mind the rain.

"A beautiful and safe place to raise children," Mom said one night as I ate my spaghetti. I just about choked.

"How many more you guys planning to have?" I asked turning the attention back to her. My Dad laughed.

"Oh not us Charlotte. You!" She squealed. Dad and I exchanged the same look.

"I'm 17, there's no way I'm ready for children! I thought I'd start off small anyways. Maybe a goldfish?" Mom rolled her eyes.

"Come on Clair, let her live her life without worrying about all of...that...right now..."

"Thank you Dad."

"Of course you're too young right now! But in the future it wouldn't be so bad." I sighed slightly and I got up and cleared the plates from the table. I started to make coffee for all of us. Dad went to the fireplace to put it on. Children. Pftt. They were something I wanted ,sure. One day. But I didn't even have a boyfriend or anything yet. Not that I'd been looking. I was too focused on my writing. I wanted to be a writer or and author, or a journalist. Something creative that I created. ME. Nobody else. I wanted to create something that was mine. I lived in a world of books mostly, it was no wonder I wanted to become part of that phenomenon.

I had finished washing the dishes and was about to put the coffee into the mugs when my Mom creeped up behind me. Placing her arms around me.

"So honey, tomorrow's the big first day. How are you feeling?" Mom mused.

"I feel fine."

"Cause you know homeschooling is VERY in these days. You don't have to go to a new school if you don't want to." I turned and looked at her.

"Mom I need stimulation. Besides, I'm about the least shy 17 year old living today."

"All I'm saying is that you don't have to go to school if you're scared or nervous."

"Mom I WANT to go to school." And I wasn't lying. I was being 100% honest. I was excited. "You're the one who's scared and nervous I think." I said as I threw my arms around her and gave her a tight hug. "Please don't be Mom. I'll be fine." I let her go.

"I just want you to enjoy it. And to be yourself. That's the only advice I can give you." She smiled and I saw in her eyes that love she had for me. I gave her another hug.

"Cream and sugar?"

I was lying in bed. My eyes were closed and I hadn't stirred for an hour. I read a few chapter of a book as I always do before I go to sleep. But I couldn't roll over. I was either too hot or too cold. I sipped water to try and do something! Frustrated I sat up fast and leaned against the headboard. I turned on the light. I'd lost the fight. It was 3am. I was due to wake up in 3 hours, so I decided to boycott sleep altogether. I could nap when I got home tomorrow from school. I put on my purple house robe and shoved fuzzy socks on my feet and headed for the kitchen. I opened the fridge and the bright light from the bulb woke me up even more.

"Urgh." I let out. I reached around for the Brita jug. I found it eventually and put it on the kitchen island. I lit a match and ignited a candle letting a low glow take over the room. I poured the water into my tumbler and drank it slowly. The cold water running down my throat was so refreshing. My Dad loved adding cucumber slices to water, so it always has that taste. But it was homey. I poured another full glass and put the jug back in the fridge. I blew out the candle and headed back upstairs counting each one slowly as I went. 16 in total.

I was about to turn into my room, but decided to go back up to the attic.

Where I found the little blue box the day we moved in.

I left the glass in my room and grabbed my phone for a light. I walked up the stairs and opened the door slowly, letting each creek go quiet before I pushed it further open again. Eventually I was able to get all the way inside without waking my parents. I walked over to the panel, avoiding all the boxes that now took up the space. So much for creating a cosy nook for me to read in, but truth be told, my room wasn't that bad. One of my windows was being converted into a window seat so I guess that could work. I slid the panel in the attic away and took the box out. It was just as I'd left it, I hadn't been back inside it since we moved here.

Inside was the wedding photograph which I looked at again adoringly. I then pulled out a backpack, it was orange with brown straps, and a compass attached to one of the zippers. It was empty. I guess I had a new bag for school tomorrow then. I also found some other items, more personal ones. I found a little prayer bracelet with a blue bead in the centre, and a St. Jude bracelet that seemed to go perfectly with the prayer one. I found a book too. A copy of Wuthering Heights. It was a beautiful cover, one I didn't own. Who on earth possessed these treasures? They were so much to my taste it was as if this box was tailor made for ME. The last thing I found was another stack of photographs. It was the same couple again. With some other family members I hadn't seen previously. A photograph of them standing in a parking lot at what looked like my new high school. The boy was one of the most beautiful people I'd ever seen. Not necessarily my type, but undeniably beautiful. The girl was even more beautiful than the boy. She had pale skin, and chocolate brown eyes. She was petite, the boy towering over her in every photograph. There were other photographs in the box of other people too. Some kids from a high school, a man with a moustache, a stunning Native American looking boy with long hair fixing a motorbike, and lastly a family of 6. All standing in a forest, wisteria flowers hanging above their heads. All of them had these brilliant golden eyes that didn't seem natural. I was embarrassed by their beauty. I felt so plain. Ha! On the back of this photograph though where the names of the people and a date.

"Carlisle, Esme, Alice, Jasper, Rosalie and Emmett 2012. Forks Washington." Such old fashioned names. I tucked the treasures back inside, taking only the backpack and jewellery. I put the box back behind the panel but took a second glance. And on the side of the box was a name. Bella.