Chapter 9 - Revelations, kinda.

Chapter 9 - Distance

Telepathy. The ability to transfer information between individuals by means other than the five senses.

"How did you do that?" Bella asked.

"What?" I asked dumbfounded. "What are you talking about?"

"You...just read his mind." Jasper said, so sure of his words.

"No I didn't." I barked back. "Edward made a comment. I answered it. Or maybe I hit my head that hard I've imagined it."

"But he didn't. He said nothing. Nobody did." Alice said. I felt like my heart was punching my chest. It wanted to get out of my body. I knew fine well that SOMETHING strange happened. I listened again for a voiceless voice, but nothing came.

Then it did.

"Can you hear this?" Now I'd seen enough movies and shows to know what was going on. And how to behave if such an impossible thing was taking place. If I was hearing Edwards thoughts I was not to move. I shouldn't even flinch. I had to act as if nothing had happened, and get out of that house to a hospital. I then found myself looking at Edward.

Shoot!

"Charlotte?" He looked deep into my eyes. I blinked and then I started for the door.

"I'd like to leave now, Dr Cullen would you please take me to the hospital?" Looking at them all they looked, scared? Confused. Worried. What had I done? I READ his mind. I knew that, and they knew that. But I just didn't want to know how. I just wanted out of the house.

"I'll take you." Bella stood. "Lets get you out of here."

Bella and I walked to my truck, I kept my distance. When we got close, she opened the passenger door for me. I hopped in slowly and she rook her time getting round to the drivers side. She placed her hands on the wheel that seemed so familiar to her. She smiled softly.

"Mmm." She said, almost a whisper. She caressed the wheel, and it was like she knew this truck. Like maybe it was hers once upon a time. She cranked the engine, and drove us towards the tarmac road. She even double pumped the clutch when she shifted. I never told her that. That my truck had that little quirk to it. I leaned against my door, cradling my hand. Closing my eyes. Bella never spoke. She didn't even breathe.

When we got to the hospital she parked a few steps behind the main entrance. It was raining outside, a gentle rain that created a sound that eased me. Bella turned off the truck and glanced to look my way. I didn't look back. She sighed, then looked back out the window.

"Gosh. I never forgot how much I missed driving this truck." That cleared that up. She was the previous owner.

"This was yours?" I wanted to be sure.

"Yeah. It was the best." She smiled as she stroked the dashboard.

"It drives good." I agreed patting the seat.

"Charlotte you know that what happened with Edward was a mistake? An accident. Trust me he'll be tormenting himself about this for a long time." I nodded. "I get that you're confused, maybe a little angry. And scared. But trust me when I say, you won't ever be in danger with my family."

"Yeah I got it." Bella paused, a beat or so. Then she turned her whole body towards me.

"You read his mind didn't you?" I closed my eyes. Why couldn't she just leave it alone? I felt my shoulders rise up. I nodded.

"Yes." I responded admitting defeat. Maybe it was the relief from being at the hospital. I just admitted it anyway. What was the point in lying? My hand hurt and I just wanted her to let me go. "And none of you are human. Are you?"

"............no." She answered.

"Okay." I simply said. I knew it anyway. I didn't freak out. I just remained still.

"Are you okay?" She prodded.

"What do you want me to say?" I turned to look at her.

"Well...what are you thinking?" I exhaled.

"I'm thinking you should be older. Way older unless you cracked science or drank from the fountain of youth."

"Charlotte you read Edwards mind. How?"

"I dunno." I mumbled looking away.

"Has it ever happened before? Have you ever heard anyones thoughts before like this?"

"Nope. This was the first time." I gulped. Bella looked out the window, and played with her hair for a fragment of a second.

"You know you can't say anything right? To anyone. About this."

"I do. But if it's not too much trouble, I'd rather not talk about it anymore. I just wanna go home."

"Of course." She said. "Carlisle let the doctors know you were coming so you'll be seen right away. And don't worry about documents or insurance anything, we've taken care of that." I blinked.

"Oh." They paid for my treatment? "Thank you." She folded her lips inward.

"I'll park your truck in the lot. You better call your parents. And..."

"I tripped and fell. And you drove me here. I got it." Say nothing. She looked appreciative. I opened my door and got out. My legs felt like jelly.

When I got inside the hospital I was greeted by a nurse who took me to a small room. She was chatty and young, a new graduate I guessed. I just nodded and passed off any responses. My mind was going wild, with questions and thoughts I couldn't process. The young nurse unwrapped the bandage Carlisle made and threw it in the trash. She took an X-Ray of the break and then escorted me to another room. The morphine Carlisle game me helped the pain, I couldn't feel much except a small sting when I moved. The man waiting for me was older and more quiet. He had hair as white as snow and thick black glasses that enlarged his ageing eyes. He greeted me quietly then said "Okay kid lets get this done I wanna grab my lunch." This I liked. I needed. I was pleased not to have to indulge in conversations. He looked at the X-Rays. He chuckled slightly.

"Carlisle's done it again. If he hadn't helped ya kid, you would have had to go under to get these bones repositioned." He smiled as he admired Carlisle's work. He plastered my arm and put a plastic covering over it when he was finished. The cast went just below my elbow.

"Okay kid, come back in 4 weeks to get it removed and we'll put a smaller wrist sized cast on for the last 2 weeks. Wear the plastic covering in the rain and when bathing. You can grab some more of these from Jackie. Have a nice day kid." He walked out the room, turned left, and I never saw him again. It was weird. Usually after hospital visits there's paperwork. I stood up off the bed went out the door, grabbed the plastic coverings for the next few weeks and walked out of the hospital. My parents were waiting for me in the lot. My Mom ran towards me, crushing me with her arms in an embrace. I breathed her in. I felt faint. And I don't remember much after that.