Chapter Twenty One [Edited]

Start from the beginning

“Okay,” I repeated with a sigh; although Daniel was already gone, I remained frozen in the hallway.

Shaking myself out of it, I rushed off to do my laundry, nervous about my impending doom in the form of a talk with Daniel.

Half an hour later, the washer was going. I had spent all the time I could slowly loading in my clothes, putting in the quarters carefully, triple checking everything, but alas I couldn’t delay anymore.

Hesitantly, I walked over to Daniel’s apartment, knocking quietly on the door. When he didn’t reply instantly, I was tempted to leave.

Well, at least I tried?’ I tried to justify to myself. I knew exactly what Shelly and Margaret would say, though: ‘Anaya! Get your butt in there and get your man back!’

Taking a deep breath, I knocked harder. Daniel opened the door almost instantly, leaning on the wall with an amused look.

“So you’re actually serious about talking? No running away?”

“No running away,” I confirmed.

“Then, please enter,” Daniel said with a grand sweeping gesture of his arm, making me giggle a little. I walked into the entranceway.

“You know, I don’t think I’ve actually been in your home before,” I commented. His apartment was smaller than mine. It oozed practicality, with super organized kitchen cabinets, a tidy, small sitting room, and a bedroom and tiny bathroom off through a door. Everything was neat and orderly. I was almost hesitant to sit down in case I’d break his couch or something. He had quite the videogame setup in the sitting room, which seemed almost out of character for him.

“You approve?” Daniel asked drily, making me wince at his tone.

“Maybe I should just leave,” I muttered.

“No, sorry. Sit down; we need to talk,” Daniel uttered those four words every person in a relationship dreads hearing.

“Right, talk,” I sighed, quietly walking across the floor and perching on the edge of the sofa.

“Do you want anything to drink?” Daniel asked as he went to the kitchen.

“No thanks,” I replied nervously. I wiped my palms on my jeans nervously.

“Okay,” he replied. I watched as he filled a glass of water, staring out the window. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, letting it out in one huge sigh.

“So. Talk,” he stated, stalking across the room and sitting on the opposite end of the couch, angling his body so he was looking at me.

I shrugged, suddenly unable to find my voice.

“You know, I hung out with Sheila this weekend. We went to that yoga meditation class at the gym yesterday.”

‘So THAT’S why Shelly didn’t come and bug me to go with her…

“And?”

“She asked me to be careful with you, because you’re sensitive.”

“I am not sensitive!” I snapped, huffing a little. Daniel just gave me a look, raising his eyebrow. He looked like he was trying not to laugh.

“This is a waste of time. I’m going back to my apartment,” I glared at him, stalking out and slamming the door. When I got to my apartment, I sighed and put my key in the lock, leaving it open as I kicked off my shoes and went to the kitchen to grab a pot of water.

‘Go ahead and shut me out, and go running to your friends about how all guys are assholes. Maybe some time you’ll realize that the only reason your love life is a complete and utter failure is because of you. Only you.’ I remembered.