Chapter 24 | The Winery | Part 2

The weather might have been mild driving at fifty miles per hour down a leafy, curvy highway, but the sun seemed to be hotter and more dehydrating out here amongst the grapevines. All those sips of wine hadn't helped. Nora longed for some water as Carlo lectured them. He went on and on about varietals, soil, rain, grape pickers, processing, oak barrels, and just about every step of the winemaking operation, somehow making his own role in it all as adviser to his mother seem extremely important.

Nora tried to listen as her thoughts slogged over her current situation. What were they doing there? What was it Alexis really wanted? Nora felt a splitting headache coming on.

At one point, as Carlo led the way ahead of them, she had a chance to speak privately with Alexis.

"I guess since Theo's not here we should head back to the spa. Don't you think?"

"What? No, it's okay." Alexis seemed distracted. "He's just up in Portland selling wine to restaurant owners or something."

Portland...Nora didn't recall Carlo telling them that, and she had been with him the entire time Alexis had. Had she known all along her fiancé wasn't going to be there? Had they been talking? Nora felt so confused.

"You talked to him?"

"I sent an email to his business address and got an out-of-office reply."

"Then why are we here?"

Alexis shrugged. "This is going to be my world soon. I want to get to know it."

"But...don't take this the wrong way, but it seems like you're making advances on his brother."

Alexis lowered her mirrored aviator sunglasses for a moment, and winked. Again.

"I'm just having a little fun. Nothing's going to happen with Carlo. He doesn't swing our way. Trust me. OMG, what about Caprice? She was totally checking you out." She glanced at Nora, then looked again. "Hey. You don't look so good."

Nora touched her forehead. "I think the sun is getting to me."

"Oh, sweetie. Do you want to drive my car back to the hotel? I'm sure Carlo can give me a ride. Hey, Carlo! Wait up!"

Ahead of them, their guide paused and turned. When they reached him, Alexis explained that Nora was going to head back to the spa. He nodded and—without his aloof demeanor changing at all—placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Be careful on those winding roads. Accidents happen."

Nora started to say she'd be fine, not to worry. But a thought stopped her.

"I—yes, of course. Accidents happen." Was he somehow referring to Theo's accident? Or was that merely coincidence?

Carlo dropped his hand from Nora's shoulder, and they made their way back to the the main parking area. The bubbling fountain of the sylph was like a sigil promising coolness and hydration.

"Hey," Alexis said. "Can you point me to the little girl's room?"

"Inside the building," Carlo said. "Left side of the entrance."

She turned and pushed her car keys into Nora's hand. "Get some rest. And don't wait up." Wink.

Nora started to answer but Alexis kept talking. "Oh, and park it in the shade. But away from the trees. I don't want to get any bird shit on the paint."

What am I, her valet?

Alexis picked her way over the gravel lot in her high heeled sandals, a tattoo of a black, thorny rose visible on her lower back.