Chapter 9 | A Visit | Part 3

They both agreed to share a flan and ordered decaf coffees. When the bill arrived, Theo insisted on paying. Nora excused herself to the ladies' room, where she stared into the dimly lit mirror and gave herself a pep talk.

He liked her. But he was withholding. Plus, how would he react when he discovered she had very little experience when it came to sex? He probably had more than his fair share. Just look at him—charming, handsome, excellent physical shape, well-off family, educated. Quite the specimen. Quite the catch. She reminded herself to set aside any expectations she might entertain, to live in the moment and just let whatever was going to happen, happen. Or not.

They walked out into the night. After a short way, she put her hands in her coat pockets, but he reached out and withdrew one, holding it firmly, stopping her in her tracks. He turned her to him and his mouth found hers, at first just a sweet, soft pressure. He pulled away a bit, his gaze searching hers, yet unfocused and full. She tilted her lips up to his again, and this time, they pressed together, their mouths opening, eyes closing. Tasting, gripping each other tightly.

"Get a room!" someone in a passing car shouted and wolf howled before zooming off down the street. They stopped kissing and laughed, foreheads pressed together. He kissed the top of her head, the tip of her nose, her lips. The noise, the people, the world—all of it disappeared. All that existed was their bodies melding together. Nora closed her eyes, breathing him in.

"Garlicky, right?" he murmured against the soft, vulnerable skin of her throat. She shivered.

"I think we taste the same."

He growled just a little before catching her mouth with his once again.

"Seriously, there's a hotel just down the block. Charges by the hour!"

Must be someone looking for parking. They ignored the heckler, continuing with their make-out session.

A moment later, Theo pulled away, breathless. "I wish I didn't have to fly out tonight."
"Me too."

A look of uncertainty settled on his face.

"What is it?" Nora whispered.

His voice was quiet, and she had to strain to hear him. "Maybe it's the right thing."

Her breath caught. She'd been thinking the same thing. Guard your heart. Theo pulled away. He stepped back, breathing hard. Nora had trouble catching her breath, too.

"Let's walk for a bit," he said.

"Okay."

The kissing had her in its thrall. Holding hands, they stumbled off in the direction of home. The air between them ballooned with a strange combination of crackling emotions—anticipation, lust, desire, confusion, fear, thoughtfulness, restraint. Rainey's words broke to the surface: Just ask him.

"I don't mean to pry," she said. "But I've been thinking about what you told me, about having a rough time at home when you were a teenager. And you tried to see Uncle Cole?"

Theo nodded. "Yeah. That was...that was a turning point in my life. You might not like me much after I tell you. I certainly wouldn't blame you because I don't like myself all that much for it."

"What is it?"

He took a moment to gather his thoughts. "When I was almost sixteen, I was in a car accident. It was my fault. Some people died. Kids."

"Oh my god."

He unspooled the tale. It was a Saturday night. He'd been driving too fast—illegally, underage, alone—and at the intersection of two Napa Valley back roads, he hit a minivan carrying a family of five and their son's friend. They'd been on their way home from the movies. The friend, a boy of eleven, died, and so did the oldest child, a fourteen-year-old girl.