Chapter Nine- By the Way, I'm A Little Clausterphobic

Turning to look at Macy, Birkhoff was surprised to find she was no longer standing beside him.  Looking down, he saw Macy on the floor panicked.  “Macy, what’s wrong?” Birkhoff dropped to the floor beside her.

            “I don’t like small spaces.” She quietly replied.

            Birkhoff sat on the floor of the elevator and pulled Macy against him.  “It’ll be okay.” He tried to calm her.

            He could hear that Macy was still breathing hard.  Reaching over, he put his fingers on her neck to check her pulse.  “Macy, you have to calm down.” He told her.

            “I don’t know how.” She replied.

            Macy felt strange as Birkhoff pulled her into his lap, carefully placing her head against his chest.  “Just listen to my heartbeat.”

            Macy closed her eyes and listened to his heart beat slow and steady.  She focused on his heart beat and his hand gently rubbing her back.  Slowly she calmed looking up into Birkhoff’s eyes- luckily she could see his eyes through the pitch black since they were close enough together.  He gave her a smile as she asked, “Where did you learn that?”

            “I  didn’t.” Birkhoff replied, “It just occurred to me.”

            “It was sweet.” Macy replied, “You’re definitely sweeter than your sour exterior.”

            Even though she couldn’t see it she could tell by his grin he was blushing.  “Have I chipped away at Shadow Walkers strong exterior?” Macy continued to tease.

            She felt a few strands of Birkhoff’s hair gently brush her cheeks as he leaned over her, his lips gently meeting hers.  Immediately this kiss felt different to her.  Butterflies filled her stomach and her fingers  and toes tingled.  Birkhoff wrapped his arms around her, then leaned over her, deeping the kiss.  She felt her back hit the elevator floor and she shivered at the cold on her back as Birkhoff transferred his weight to cover her body with his.  Cupping his head, she ran her fingers through his hair as he continued to kiss her.  His beard scratched against her cheeks as they made out.   He kissed across her jaw and she shivered as he hit a sensitive spot on her neck.  Sucking in a breath, she whispered in replied, “Birkhoff, Birkhoff, wait.”

            Pulling back, Birkhoff leaned his forehead against hers.  “Wow.” Was his only response between quick breaths.  Leaning in, he gave her a couple of quick pecks as he helped her back into a sitting position.  “Macy, I am really sorry for the way I treated you.”

            Macy was thrown off by his sincerity.  There was no question in her mind unlike the previous kisses, these kisses were pure attraction.  She never would have thought that it was possible to tell the difference before that kiss.  “Seymour,” she whispered back, “It’s okay.”

            She saw him smile.  “I like when you say my name.” he admitted.

            Macy playfully smacked his chest.  “So Shadow Walker has a soul?”

            Birkhoff laughed knowing he did kind of deserve it.  “You caught me.” He replied, “You’re a beautiful woman.”

            “I thought I was below Division’s beauty standards.” She told him.

            “I am very,” Birkhoff softly kissed her, “very sorry.”

            “Well, besides our movie, I guess that makes this our first real date.” Macy used her thumb to clean some smeared lipstick she could feel in the corner of her mouth.