Chapter Two- Macy: Division Agent

Chapter 2

            When Macy woke, she still felt groggy.  Whatever it was that Amanda had given her was slowly leaving her system.  Slowly Macy sat up, swinging her legs over the edge of the bed.  The room was plain, just a simple bed and desk.  Someone, hopefully Amanda, had changed her into dark grey sweatpants and a white tank top.  Slowly she stood up, swaying a little from the effects of the drug.  As she got her bearings, the door opened.  A handsome man, short blond hair, dressed in a perfect navy suit came in.  “Hi Macy.” He greeted her with a smile.  “My name is Michael and I work for the government.  We are giving you a second chance.”

            Keeping an even smile as not to alert Michael, on the inside Macy grinned.  Remembering Amanda’s training about Division, she knew by Michael’s speech that she had been entered into Division just like any other new recruit- as a rescue from prison.  Whenever she had a chance to ask Amanda, she would have to ask her how she pulled it off.  “Nice to meet you.  Where am I?” Macy asked.

            “This,” Michael looked around the room, “Is called Division.  We serve our government and that’s what we’ll be teaching you to do.”

            Feeling dizzy, Macy sat down on the bed.  “Ok.” Macy acknowledged. “How does this work”

            “We have athletic trainers, computer classes, and language classes, everything you’ll need to know to fulfill our missions.”

            “What about my past?” Macy recalled the question Amanda wanted her to ask.

            “We took care of that.” Michael held open a manila folder with a picture of a mausoleum.  “That is your grave.  Officially you were stabbed by your cellmate over some cookies.”

            Macy’s face scrunched.  “Getting creative?” she asked.

            Michael chuckled.  “I know it sounds silly, but every recruit has to be killed before coming in, and they can’t all be the same.”

            “Okay.” Macy nodded her head in understanding.  “When do I start?”

            “Eager, that’s a good sign.” Michael gave her a friendly smile.  “You report to Amanda, our guidance counselor of sorts.  She will assess you to see what is best.”

            “Until then?” Macy questioned.

            “Why don’t I show you around?” Michael suggested.

            An hour later, after a tour of the training room, the computer lab, the cafeteria and all the other important rooms, Michael dropped off Macy at Amanda’s office door.  While she hadn’t seen Seymour Birkhoff, her target, she did see and make note of the location of his office.  As Michael walked away down the hall, Macy tentatively knocked on Amanda’s office door.  It cracked open and Amanda peaked through at her.  “Hi Macy, come in!  You’re right on time.”

            Macy looked over Amanda’s office as she entered.  She wasn’t surprised to find it dressed to-the-nines, with only the best furniture- and a beautiful red leather couch.  “Have a seat.” Amanda gestured towards it.

            Sitting on the couch, Macy waited as Amanda took a seat across from her in a matching red leather chair.  “So how are you feeling?”

            “Okay.” Macy replied, rubbing her head, “A little groggy.”

            Amanda smiled.  “That happens with the medication I drugged you with.”

            “So how did you get me in here?”

            “What do you mean?” Amanda crossed her legs.

            “Well, I wasn’t in prison.”

            “Ah,” Amanda smiled, “I told them you were a fugitive that was close to being caught by the FBI.  By the time I got there, you were in jail, which is where you were killed.  I impersonated an FBI agent coming to pick you up before the real FBI showed up.”

            “Okay.  Just wanted to understand the background.” Macy replied.

            “Always prepared.  Why I picked you for this job.” Amanda replied.

            Macy rubbed her head, still slightly groggy from the medication.  “I thought I wasn’t a recruit.” Macy commented to Amanda.

            “Only way that I could get you in.” Amanda replied, “I’m sure it’s not the only time we’ll have to adjust our plans.  You will be a recruit, but make sure that you do very well at the computers.  They are going to assign you to tech and Birkhoff, but it has to be believable, so you have to show your skills in that area.”

            “Of course.”

            Amanda took a drink of tea, and then put it on the coffee table between them.  Then she explained, “To get around the relationship issue, I am going to give Birkhoff an assignment to practice his seduction techniques for use in the field.  We’ve identified you as his practice target.  He doesn’t know that you know what is going on.  I told him to have a real relationship to practice being in one and to realize what things he needs to do to fake one, so he will know what to do.”

            “I guess that makes sense.” Macy was a little unsure about how much pretending was going to be going on.

            “After he gets attached to you, I will be compassionate and allow you two to date, as long as the other recruits don’t know what is going on.”

            Macy looked at Amanda.  “When do you expect that to happen?”

            “Well,” Amanda laughed, “I know better than to predict Birkhoff’s technique to try to figure out a timeline- it may take him awhile.  A month.  Maybe two.”

            “Anything else I should know going in?” Macy wanted to be fully prepared.

            “Nope.  Whatever Birkhoff doesn’t tell you himself, I will let you know.” Amanda took a tablet off of the table beside her chair.  “This tablet has information loaded about Birkhoff on it.  Don’t let him see it.  Bring it with you when you come to see me so I can give you any updates you need on it.  I can’t make it wireless; Birkhoff would see it in the network, so I’ll have to do manual updates here.  The other recruits can’t see it either, because you are not normally allowed to have anything with a hard drive.”

            Macy nodded in understanding.  “Alright.  So now what should I be doing?”

            Turning over her wrist, Amanda stared at the gold watch on her wrist.  “Well, it’s 4:00 PM, so the other recruits will be in class with Birkhoff.  I’ll take you down there, and you’ll get to meet Birkhoff.”