Chapter Six- Try Again

It had been a week since Macy had been planted into Division.  She was slowly getting into the routine and being a Division recruit.  She and Birkhoff were still at odds; she had not completely forgiven him, even though seducing him was her mission.  Things were getting better, but still ice cold between them.  As she walked to his office that morning for her training, she knew today she would have to start warming things up to accomplish her goal.

            In his office, Birkhoff was thinking the same thing.  He knew Amanda would be expecting an update and so far he didn’t have one.  He ran his hand through his hair nervously, not sure what to do.  The reason Amanda had assigned him to practice was because she knew that he needed practice.  Since Division didn’t allow relationships, he had no reason to seduce a woman previously.  Before Division Birkhoff had not had much luck with relationships so he did not have anything to draw from especially when they had gotten off to such an awful start.  He powered up the computer as there was gentle knock on his office door.  He walked over, picking up a couple pieces of clothes off the floor, throwing them into his hamper next to the door.  Opening the door, Macy came into the office.  “Good morning Birkhoff.” She greeted him with a cheerier-than-normal tone.

            “Morning.” He replied, gesturing to a computer chair, “Have a seat.  Today we’re going to be looking at the more medical applications.  First thing we are going to look at is activating tracers and kill chips.”

            “Kill chips?” Macy wasn’t so happy to hear they would do things like that.

            “Yeah.” Birkhoff looked at her, annoyed that he had to repeat himself.  He had definitely woken up on the wrong side of the bed that morning, frustrated by the situation.  “Kill chips.”

            Biting her tongue, Macy knew she and Birkhoff had to start getting along.  For once in the week she had known him, she wished Birkhoff would give an inch of patience to her.  “Alright.  So what’s the first step?” she asked him, leaning in closer to him.

            Birkhoff was a little thrown off when Macy leaned closer to him.  He dismissed it as an accident and went back to teaching her.  About halfway he felt her hand gently rest on his leg.  This caught him off-guard and this time he couldn’t ignored it.  “Is there something I can help you with?” he asked, picking her hand up off his lap and holding it towards her.

            “Sorry.” She blushed, moving her hand back to her own lap.  “I thought it was the computer chair.”

            Birkhoff wasn’t sure if he bought it or not, but he couldn’t think of a reason she would be interested in him, not that he cared either way.  Without a second thought she went back to teaching her the ropes.  As she had done earlier, he moved slightly closer to her to try to get on his mission.  He tried to remember the techniques he had seen others use, but they all escaped him.  Needing a moment to think, to plan, so he suggested, “Let’s see you give it a try.”

            As Macy began to work, Birkhoff stood behind her chair to watch what she was doing.  Looking over her shoulder, he noticed the slightly fruity smell from her soap. Until now he had not realized how long it had been since he was so close to a girl that he could admire her scent.  Maybe this wouldn’t be as hard as he thought.  He still had to figure out his next move.  If he moved too fast and scared Macy, he would risk cancellation.

            Macy heard Birkhoff take a deep breath as he watched over her shoulder and she hoped that was a good thing.  As much as she needed to make a move for her mission, since his mission was to seduce her, and he didn’t know this, it would be much better to let him make the movie.  She shuttered a little, a little disgusted that she was going to let someone that had been so rude to kiss her.  Meanwhile Birkhoff caught a mistake she made and he grabbed her hand and mouse to correct it.  She jumped, not expecting that much contact from him.  Part of her enjoyed the feeling of having someone pressed against her.  His arm was pressed against hers as he held onto her hand.  She didn’t know what was going on but her heart was pounding.